Best SB mopar book.

-
this forum ...and the best of all..it is free

The old DC or MP racing manuals. A little dated but has more info than most. I have newer but always double check against the racing manuals.

The old DC or MP racing manuals. A little dated but has more info than most. I have newer but always double check against the racing manuals.

I myself would like to find a good one that covers a mix of the original LA stuff, as well as roller blocks and Magnum head swaps

The BIG trouble with some of the old MP books is that they are always quoting some Mopar part no. that has long since gone obsolete.

One good example is one of the books talking about manual TF valve bodies, and they quote a number for a separator plate that has been lost to the world for years.

Even if I found one, I wouldn't know how to identify it.

I have How to build Big Inch Mopar Small Blocks which yes it is for strokers but it is basic engine building. I also have How tro Modify your Mopar Magnum V8. The later of the 2 is a really good book. over 250 pages and it covers almost everything needed to build a Magnum motor. Between the 2 I have all of the info I could use.

I myself would like to find a good one that covers a mix of the original LA stuff, as well as roller blocks and Magnum head swaps

The BIG trouble with some of the old MP books is that they are always quoting some Mopar part no. that has long since gone obsolete.

One good example is one of the books talking about manual TF valve bodies, and they quote a number for a separator plate that has been lost to the world for years.

Even if I found one, I wouldn't know how to identify it.

They always liked Turbo Action converters and reverse manual valve bodies. The latest MP small block book covers up to Magnums pretty good, and they have a Magnum book. The party line was not to swap to magnum heads... I always found Super Stock intakes and distribution mods very interesting. The racing manuals definately tell you how to do a lot of things right. Racing is an everchanging sport because of technology, rule changes, even cost and available materials. Some things are better today, some things are not. Sometimes you can spend a lot of money and be no faster or no more reliable. There has always been BS associated with racing also. I was lucky, as I've always been around real racers, and it was amazing, to me, to hear real racers cut through the BS and hype of the moment. You can get something out of most books and magazine articles but you need to have enough experience to smell the BS.

For rebuilding, the "How to rebuild my small block MoPar" has not let me down.

The same titled but insert "Hot Rod my S/B MoPar is equally good. This is writen by Larry Shepard, the old head of engineering of MoPar Performance. Though, like above, the parts are near dead strickly MoPar Parts, which isn't a bad thing since mostof the time it is a better part then the aftermarket has. It's just like above. Sometimes, the part is not around anymore. The book is a newer publishing. So the part are out there. (Except W5, 7, & 8 heads.)

The other mentioned, how to build big cube SB MoPars is also nice.

Factory manuals should be as new as possible to keep updated. In general, they are excellent books. But books do not update themselves.

-
Back