Best Small block Headers?

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
Hey guys, swapping my 318 for a 360 and trying to buy a set of headers that will last and have the best Fit and finish. ANY recommendations?

tti or dougs...

x2...They are pricey but you get what you pay for! Both headers fit well and do not hang low like the cheaper ones. Dougs are 1 5/8 and TTI are 1 7/8. Do a search and use your own judgement for what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Ken

Here is a pic of my Dougs. They are not installed yet, but will post pics once they go in.

Attachments

• 2012-01-09_13-47-47_787.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,729
Just a bit of info correction.

tti headers that 95+% of the engines out there can use a 1 5/8-1 3/4 step headers.

You need something really stout to justify a 1 7/8" header. And when you do and max power is the goal, there are other brands that work better.

The two choices for most people are the Dougs or tti step headers.

Go with Doug's headers and save some money! And the same 450 HP motor you MIGHT see a 5 HP peak over the Doug's (using there step headers). Now if your motor is pumping out 525 or better (or if you plan to upgrade) id go with the TTi step headers. Now if you pumpin out over 600+ I'd go for the TTi 1 7/8 size headers.

Just a bit of info correction.

tti headers that 95+% of the engines out there can use a 1 5/8-1 3/4 step headers.

You need something really stout to justify a 1 7/8" header. And when you do and max power is the goal, there are other brands that work better.

The two choices for most people are the Dougs or tti step headers.

I knew that...just seeing if you were paying attention! Good info, thanks for the correction and sorry for the mis-information.:banghead: I learned something new!

Anyone have pics of your TTI or Dougs installed on the car? Like from 20 feet in front of the car? Just curious how much more tucked they really are. I run Hooker Comp headers now and dont really have any problems. They were a pain to get in and dont plan to change them unless I change engines.

I run 1 3/4 inch Hedman Hustlers, but tubes 7 and 8 exit through the fender and meet up at the collector...so you have to do a little cutting. They also interfered with my low profile Milodon pan on the passenger side, thus resulting in hours of reshaping the pan with a hammer and blow torch....AND they hit my transmission pan on passenger side where the collector meet the primary tubes (just some minor dimpling there).....Soooooo, if I were to do it again I would probably go with tti's.

I run 1 3/4 inch Hooker Hustlers, but tubes 7 and 8 exit through the fender and meet up at the collector...so you have to do a little cutting. They also interfered with my low profile Milodon pan on the passenger side, thus resulting in hours of reshaping the pan with a hammer and blow torch....AND they hit my transmission pan on passenger side where the collector meet the primary tubes (just some minor dimpling there).....Soooooo, if I were to do it again I would probably go with tti's.

You mean Hedman?

You pay in performance when fit is a priority.

The TTIs are top notch. I have them on my 71 Roadrunner 340/4 speed and my 66 Hemi Charger and they fit like a glove. They seal great due to the thick flanges with no leaking on either car.

Spend the money once and be done.

I bought a set of TTIs and sent them back. I don't know what kind of install they actually offer, but I didn't care for the construction one bit.

The tubes are *severely* crimped by the flange. On my set the ID on one tube was almost down to 1"!!
The flange is the absolute worse place to have a restriction if horsepower is your goal. Though these are stepped tube headers, you are getting no benefit from the "step" if they're 1" primary at the flange!

If you don't really care about max horsepower and torque that much, they're probably great, and I'm sure they make a ton more power than manifolds.

I actually got rid of the TTis and put a set of Hooker 1-5/8 comp headers with the black coating- "Darkside" or whatever they are calling it. installation was a pain, but I didn't have to remove anything extra over what the instructions say for the TTis, and I can get at my (mini) starter without difficulty. I haven't had any issues with dragging, and am very pleased with the performance. They've been on my car since 09 and look almost like they did the day I put them on.

If it's TTI or Doug's only, I would recommend the Dougs (based on pics of their stuff that I've seen - I haven't owned Doug's headers).

You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the pic posted above, but here's a couple pics of my actual TTi headers - the cheaper Hookers don't do this and you can still get the bolts in:

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

This is not intended as a bash of TTi. This is my personal experience with their product, and me passing along my experience to perhaps benefit the OP.

EDIT: I have bought and installed headers from Hooker, BBK, SLP, FPA, Kook's, Bassani, and probably others I am forgetting. This was not in any way my first set of headers. I will say that putting headers on a small block in an A-body Mopar was easily the most difficult of any vehicle I have ever done, and that includes the dreaded and hated 4.6 Ford Modular engine in a Fox Mustang chassis (bigger than a 460! Power like a Neon).

Thanks for all the info guys! I really want to go with the Dougs header #453, on summits website they say they dont fit with a 727??? has anyone had an issue with this? My buddy has a 69 with a 727 behind his 340 with no issues, just wondering if you guys have had any.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really want to go with the Dougs header #453, on summits website they say they dont fit with a 727??? has anyone had an issue with this? My buddy has a 69 with a 727 behind his 340 with no issues, just wondering if you guys have had any.
It will fit with no problem! They really need to update that info.

Mine are some old Cyclone 1 5/8 with 3" collectors, everything clears and woke up my 318

Attachments

• IMG00765-20120113-2013.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 871
  • IMG00764-20120113-2013.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG00759-20120113-2011.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG00763-20120113-2013.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG00762-20120113-2013.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG00761-20120113-2013.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG00760-20120113-2012.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,105
the tti/dougs tuck up a lot tighter then the cheapy ones..

cheapy ones..

attachment.php?attachmentid=301964&stc=1&d=1329902990.jpg

tti
DSC02553.jpg

great plug access..

134923727.jpg

difference between the driver side header..

5-17-05009.jpg

5-17-05009.jpg

i have a cheapo set of flowtechs on mine. they suck. they hang down too far, they leak no matter what. they rusted pretty much the day after i installed them. i wish i could go back to when i built the motor and saved my money and bought nice ones at the time i was only concerned with cost. and its coming back to haunt me.

It's unbelievable why those cheapsht companies still keep making those crap headers and can't be bothered to improve their product.
But it's probably because peeps keep buying them.

If the cheap companies would improve their crap, competition for the high priced stuff is increased and prices should come down from the top.
But that seems doubtful because of the very limited market.

It's unbelievable why those cheapsht companies still keep making those crap headers and can't be bothered to improve their product.
But it's probably because peeps keep buying them.

If the cheap companies would improve their crap, competition for the high priced stuff is increased and prices should come down from the top.
But that seems doubtful because of the very limited market.

Go ahead and start making them for a lower price.

-
Back