Best source for underdash hot lead ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am wiring my Daytona CD-1 ignition inside the car and need a source for hot in cranking mode. What the best way to do this ?

From the ignition switch are a blue wire and a brown wire. One hot in start, the other hot in run.
You'll need to tie these 2 wires together whether inside at the switch area or outside where they attached to OEM ballast resistor.

I was hoping for a magic solution that doesnt require untaping the main wire harness from the switch...lol

Probably a lot simpler to tie them together under the hood and run the wire to power the ignition back inside.

Boy it took me a long time to do this wiring !
I have 3 rev limiters now and a line loc release.
This is a pretty cool system so far.
Hopefully it will run ...lol

yeah... I was just thinking that.

Just unplug and remove the ballast resistor (it's getting bypassed anyway)
Use a test light on the unhooked ballast wires (harness side) and find the one that has power with the key in the on position.
Then the one with the key in the crank position.
Also note that your voltage regulator (blue wire) will probably also need to be connected to those other two wires.
In this case you will have 3 wires connected together and then one off those to your ignition box.

See if your fuse box has a terminal you can tap onto, a few are only hot with the key on. Also if they are all used you can get one of the terminals to add a terminal to it and hook up there.
20150620_145335.jpg

51woQjH1MkL._SX425_.jpg

See if your fuse box has a terminal you can tap onto, a few are only hot with the key on.

Yes but it needs to be hot while cranking.
I am assuming this wire run to an interal relay.
I have the main power leads running directly to the battery..

I got ya. There are a few that are always hot with the key on and also while cranking. Look at a wiring diagram or just get a test light and crank to see which one gets hot.

I got ya. There are a few that are always hot with the key on and also while cranking. Look at a wiring diagram or just get a test light and crank to see which one gets hot.
That how I added a few things on my 74.

no... Tail lights wont work because they are always hot.. I need a source that is only on during crank/run.
Ballast resistor it is...

On a bracket car I ran a hot lead from the starter solenoid on the drivers inner fender into the car, connected it to a suitable switch for the load, and connected the ignition hot lead to the other side of the switch. Crank the engine and then flip the switch.

I ended up linking both ends of the ballast resistor and running it back thru the firewall . That way I have both Run and Start hot.

-
Back