Best way to adapt 3/8 fuel pickup to 5/16 fuel line?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Decided to replace the factory 5/16 fuel pickup (had no fllter on the end and the gas gauge quit working) with a 3/8 pickup. For the moment, don't plan on replacing the rest of the 5/16 steel line that leads to the fuel pump. What is the best way to adapt the two lines together back at the gas tank area where that ground strap goes? Thank you.

Some hose brands are more "squishy" than others, how's THAT for a technical term?

Also diameters vary regardless of advertised size. You might go round to the various stores and buy a foot of 3 or 4 different brands. I've successfully clamped 3/8 hose onto 5/16. Sometimes used double clamps just to be sure

Decided to replace the factory 5/16 fuel pickup (had no fllter on the end and the gas gauge quit working) with a 3/8 pickup. For the moment, don't plan on replacing the rest of the 5/16 steel line that leads to the fuel pump. What is the best way to adapt the two lines together back at the gas tank area where that ground strap goes? Thank you.

Just use the appropriate sized brass hardware to make a union between the two fuel lines.

Don't over think it. Put a piece of 3/8 hose on and clamp it down. Your talking about a suction line here, not a line under pressure.

Don't over think it. Put a piece of 3/8 hose on and clamp it down. Your talking about a suction line here, not a line under pressure.

I would use 5/16" fuel line and force it on to the 3/8" tube. that way, it's less likely to leak from the smaller tube...

With a piece of new 5/16" gas line and a little brake fluid.Using a little brake fluid, you can stretch a gnats *** over a telephone pole!

I've said this a couple times on this site. They make a short piece of hose that is preformed and goes from 5/16" to 3/8". Cost is about $10. I've seen it on eBay several times.

-
Back