Best way to mount degree wheel on crank?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
When degreeing a cam, how are you guys mounting the wheel so it doesn't slip but is easily adjustable, without using the purpose made crank turning socket?

I took a short crank bolt, faced it off in the lathe and drilled and tapped it for 3/8-16.
Not sure what degree wheel you are using or what the hole diameter is, but it's really the same.
Just snug the bolt in the crank, put the degree wheel on with the other bolt. Find TDC and rotate the wheel to 0 and line up your pointer. Tighten up the bolt holding the degree wheel on and degree the cam.

Always turn the crank bolt and not the degree wheel bolt.

Is the hole threaded on that socket?

How would you mount a degree wheel to that if it's not threaded? I guess you could thread it, but a bolt is cheaper.

It has a knurled chuck to mount the wheel.

Thanks guys.

Only problem is I can't run out and buy one and didn't want to wait four days or spend $50.

Yellow Rose read the whole post, but I don't have a short crank bolt or a lathe handy, either.
Hell, right now I don't even have a good vise to drill and tap anything, my big one is broke.

I was trying to think of something DIY, cheap and simple like a spacer to keep the crank bolt from going too deep and be able to snug the degree wheel up to.
I can turn the engine either way with the crank bolt, but still have to mount the wheel.

It has a knurled chuck to mount the wheel.

Thanks guys.

Only problem is I can't run out and buy one and didn't want to wait four days or spend $50.

Yellow Rose read the whole post, but I don't have a short crank bolt or a lathe handy, either.
Hell, right now I don't even have a good vise to drill and tap anything, my big one is broke.

I was trying to think of something DIY, cheap and simple like a spacer to keep the crank bolt from going too deep and be able to snug the degree wheel up to.
I can turn the engine either way with the crank bolt, but still have to mount the wheel.

You are in a tight spot for sure. If the hole in your degree wheel is big enough to take the Chrysler bolt, you can use it. Just put some washers on the back side (block side) so you can take up the length. Then just bottom the bolt out. Just make sure you are very close to TDC so all you have to do it bend your TDC pointer to get it exact. You won't be able to loosen the bolt to rotate the degree wheel.

Hey Ty,I got a harmonic balancer installer you can use but you could use Reilly or AutoKrap for their loaner tool one.You just purchase it and return it when done...

A stack of washers. Assuming the wheel can be sandwiched between them.

FWIW, you probably already know that you should only be turning the crank CW (the normal direction of rotation) for all cam timing readings. Reading timing marks while going backwards at any time will introduce chain slack errors into the readings.

-
Back