better brake shoes

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
A couple yrs. ago I remember reading that somebody was producing rear brake shoes that had a higher coefficient for more gripping power but I can't remember who it was or find anything on them. Does anybody here know of a company selling them? These are the stock 1.75 wide A-body shoes I'm referring too.

If you can find a brake shoe with "organic" linings, they will have greater gripping power. Raybestos made the last set I used. Typically, there's a trade-off between grip and heat dissipation. The greater the grip, the quicker the brakes fade. They do produce a softer brake pedal in my experience. Metallic linings need a little heat in them to soften them up and require more brake pedal effort, but they seem to remain consistent, longer than the organic ones. With power assist, the difference is hardly noticable.

Thanks Demon. I used to work on Forklifts and when they switched from asbestos to organic I noticed that they gripped better too. I have manual brakes and have to stay with manual because the cam is too big to run a booster so that's why I'm looking for better gripping shoes. The problem now seems to be the clowns at all my local auto parts stores don't have a clue what the shoes are made of and don't know how to find out. About a year or so ago I ran across some shoes that were made of something other than organic material but I can't remember what it was. They supposedly had the gripping power of organic but didn't fade as bad. I didn't have the money for them then but now do and go figure I can't find them. Was hoping someone else had read about them.

Thanks, Tracy

Thanks for the tip Shelby. That might have been the one I saw. Been too long to remember. Unfortunately they don't have the small A-body brakes though. The only A-body they showed on the list was 62-75 Dart and it only shows 10 x 2-1/2 shoe size. Mine has the little 10 x 1-3/4 shoes. I might give them a call tomorrow to see if they have anything else not listed yet.

Thanks, Tracy

-
Back