Better Safe then Sorry???

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I've owned my car it will start by turning the key while its in gear. Car is a 70 340 4 speed Duster. I know it shouldn't be hard to just remember to put the car in neutral before starting it but accidents do happen. I'd like to make sure all the components are in place and find the issue. It's possible that the tab on the relay has just been grounded to cause it to start in all gears. Can anyone post a pic of the clutch safety switch and its location so I can see if the hardware is still present? Looking under the dash as the pedal assembly I don't see anything that looks similar to the brake light switch and that's what I'm thinking it should look like. Thanks in advance.

There's been pro's and con's of keeping that circuit to prevent starting without your foot on the clutch. I have a 71 Cuda and disconnected it because I'm always in the car when starting and always check stick to make sure I'm in neutral. The only problem I ever saw without it connected was a remote start stick car and car took off right into the water and knocked over a few Motorcycles at Robert Moses Park.

I have read here that having the safety switch is rough on the crank thrust bearing. Because there is not much oil being thrown around by the crank when starting, like there is when it is running and using the pedal. No personal experience, just what I have read here. Just food for thought. I personally don't use one.

There's been pro's and con's of keeping that circuit to prevent starting without your foot on the clutch. I have a 71 Cuda and disconnected it because I'm always in the car when starting and always check stick to make sure I'm in neutral. The only problem I ever saw without it connected was a remote start stick car and car took off right into the water and knocked over a few Motorcycles at Robert Moses Park.
I had an experience like that when I was a kid. I bought a 1972 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland and a 4 Speed. Bought the car and taught myself how to drive a stick. I went to an autoparts store for something.....Installed it in the parking lot the store and reached into the open drivers side window to just click it with the key. Wasn't planning on it starting.....Well it did start and was moving pretty good in reverse across the parking lot. I was somehow able to chase it down and jump in and just floor the brakes before it went over a curb to a 20 foot drop to a lower parking lot......Got out and closed the hood and fired the car back up and took off....I don't think I ever went back to that store. I am much older and wiser now....hahaha......I'm thinking more for my 13 year old son and when he is helping me in the garage.

I looked under my dash and there is a round switch, looks nothing like brake light switch, and a lever is connected to the clutch arm above the pedal that engages the switch. I looked in the 71 Manual and it doesn't show it at all. If you have a young guy helping you, maybe a good idea to have one.

I looked under my dash and there is a round switch, looks nothing like brake light switch, and a lever is connected to the clutch arm above the pedal that engages the switch. I looked in the 71 Manual and it doesn't show it at all. If you have a young guy helping you, maybe a good idea to have one.

I bet you it IS in there..........Wires up just like an automatic. A separate wire goes through the firewall through a single wire gromment, to the switch, which grounds. You use an automatic style starter relay with the two small flag "push on" terminals. One of them goes to the switch, the other comes from the key "start" wire

Engine bay wiring is page 8-151 of the 71 Plymouth manual

Switch wiring is fig 17 page 8-164

clutchswitch.jpg

By the way I've posted this 12 bullion times........free shop manuals you can download from MyMopar. No, I don't work there, but a few of those manuals came from the guys right here

My opinion? DO NOT LIKE clutch switches, and believe they are potentially MORE dangerous. You start it up, and thinking it's out of gear you let the clutch out. Away you go.

Leave it to Chrysler to put a clutch item in the electrical wiring schematic. I looked in the obvious place, the clutch mechanism and sure enough not there. The manuals are great its just that you don't know where to look for S__t.

-
Back