Bfgoodrich t/a air pressure

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
What air pressure would you put in 195/70-14 and 215/60-14 on 66barracuda and 360 Thanks

What air pressure would you put in 195/70-14 and 215/60-14 on 66barracuda and 360 Thanks

Tires have the required pressure on the side of the tires. Too little results in outer edge tire wear plus heat build up and failure. Too much and the tire wears in the center. My problem is they are either making the numbers smaller or my eyes are going south.

Rim width can also determine the best pressure. Narrow rim, wide tire will be a liitle less and wide rim narrow tire will take a little more pressure. With that said, somewhere just either side of 28-30 should be about right.

Run my pressures in all my cars at 38-40 psi ...... Perfect tire wear and nice ride. Run them at 30 for a month then go up to 40 tell me what you think. Rolls much nicer and handles better !

Run my pressures in all my cars at 38-40 psi ...... Perfect tire wear and nice ride. Run them at 30 for a month then go up to 40 tell me what you think. Rolls much nicer and handles better !

i fill them with about 40 . i fill my 165r15 to 50

I was talking cold pressures. You guys seriously runnin' 40 cold? I can see the skinnies, i've been there too. No doubt they'll roll better, when there's only a inch touching the ground....j/k...lol..
To Bill's point on the sidewall stampings, they are max. psi recommended for the tire itself, not the application.

When I was in the tire business in the early 80's, the rule of thumb was 28PSI for bias ply tires, and 32PSI for radial tires. Thats how we sent them out the door after mounting and balancing.
The max tire pressure listed on the sidewall is for maximum load of the vehicle. In other words, the car would be loaded with the max number of passengers, full tank of fuel, and the trunk (or cargo bed on a PU) loaded to max recommended capacity.
There is always a placard somewhere on the vehicle or in the owner's manual stating the recommended tire pressure for that vehicle under normal use.

I personally run the tires on all of our vehicles at the max rating as stated on the sidewall except for the HD pick up trucks as those tires are max rated at 80PSI. Those I run at 65PSI. I don't take any of these vehicles that far from home so they're never on the highway for more than an hour. If I was going on an extended trip (like to Carlisle which is 250 miles each way) I would consider adjusting tire pressure up or down based on the load in the car/truck.

On my 69 Dart I run a pretty skinny bias ply tire in the front and the car has a 440 in it. Granted there's a fiberglass nose on the car and some aluminum parts on the engine, but that 440 weighs more than those tires are meant for. I keep those at 30PSI and they seem fine so far.
It also doesn't hurt to touch the tires once you get out of the car to see how hot they are. They will always be hot in the summer, but after a while you will notice if they're hotter than normal, and heat is a killer for tires. You can adjust up or down based on your findings.

This has been MY experience after 31 years of driving, and over 1 million miles without ever having a tire failure.

Best of Luck!

George

-
Back