big block and column shift

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
well i've managed to keep my power steering, power brakes and column shift and still stuff in a 383 thanks to everybody's help mainly Jim Lusk.
67barracuda001.jpg
67barracuda002.jpg
to keep the column, i just shaved it a bit as per the picture and welded a plate across my cut. thanks again Gerry

hi Jim and Rick, thanks for the compliments. well i've had it started three times so far for a short period only as i'm waiting for a buddy of mine who owns a muffler shop to squeeze me in, and low and behold the starter that i put in new, packed up. well quite supprising to me changing it was quite easy, of course there was no exhaust pipe connected to the manifold, but when my buddy does the exhaust, i'll have him use never- seize on the bolts, as i'll have to disconnect the exhaust next time i have to do the starter. thanks again Jim for all the excellant advice! Gerry

nice build i just put a 383 in my 72 duster with column shift and power steering with the schumaker headers. are those they c-body or b-body hp manifolds?

I managed to keep the power steering and power brakes by biting the bullet and paying $600.00 for a 1968-69 Barracuda used original 383 factory exhaust manifold that wraps around under the steering box. The passenger side is the original B-body H.P. manifold that came with my N code 1969 383. Gerry

I managed to keep the power steering and power brakes by biting the bullet and paying $600.00 for a 1968-69 Barracuda used original 383 factory exhaust manifold that wraps around under the steering box. The passenger side is the original B-body H.P. manifold that came with my N code 1969 383. Gerry
also as much as pair of the schumaker bare metal headers cost. there like 525 plus shipping

also as much as pair of the schumaker bare metal headers cost. there like 525 plus shipping

That's what i would have done too.
But there's something to be said about the ''stealth'' look of factory exhaust manifolds as well........
Looks great to me!

i used the original exhaust manifold for a few reasons, i wanted the car to sound original ( the 4bbl is the only thing that you'll hear when you see me pull away ), the car looks like a sleeper ( no emblems, bench seats and column shift ), keeps a nice stock looking appearance, and lastly my buddy who owns a large muffler and has been bending pipes for 30 years, says that for most driving on the street, you can't beat H.P. factory manifolds, headers always eventually cause you grief! With that said, of course headers will get me more power, but doesn't a 383 4bbl sleeper Barracuda solve most power needs anyway.

How about a pic of the whole car. I absolutelty love a well executed "less is more" approach.

i'll have more pictures soon, just installing factory dual exhaust, with original turned down tailpipes, and notching rear valance for the second exhaust pipe as it was a single exhaust before with the 273, and having the alignment done. Thanks Gerry

I have a dumb question , what did you use for engine mounting ? I have an original big block dart and the column clears a stock big block manifold fine , especially with a 383 . Is the outer jacket of the column longer on the column shift vs. a floor shift column ?

Hi John, yes the column for a floor shift is shorter, and doesn't have the bulk of the shift linkage. I shaved the column to make it work because I eventually plan to go to a 4 speed and didn't want to put in a auto floor shift and then have to remove it, of course i'll change the column later, for cosmetic reasons when the 4 speed is in. I used the Transdapt mounts, which worked great.

-
Back