Big Block Kickdown Linkage

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the A- body kickdown linkage and B and C bodies? My car is a 1968 Barracuda that I am putting a 400 in. The Barracuda has a floor shift auto and I have the linkage for that part. The transmission and the linkage I have is from a 1968 Chrysler Newport that had a 383 with a 2 bbl.

I can't remember where but I thought I read that someone was selling a part for the transmission that would add part throttle kickdown to the 727. 1968 transmission only kicks down at wide open throttle. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

70 and earlier 3 piece linkage is the same in A, B, C, E, bodies if it 3 piece. Most later models are one piece accept for A-bodies due to firewall clearance

70 and earlier 3 piece linkage is the same in A, B, C, E, bodies if it 3 piece. Most later models are one piece accept for A-bodies due to firewall clearance
That’s not quite true. Everything from the upper pivot arm to the pivot on the transmission is different on a big block A-body. I have the part numbers for those pieces somewhere since I had to find them for the M-code ‘cuda that I was restoring at the time.

That’s not quite true. Everything from the upper pivot arm to the pivot on the transmission is different on a big block A-body. I have the part numbers for those pieces somewhere since I had to find them for the M-code ‘cuda that I was restoring at the time.
I fitted quite a few up from b-bodies when installing the engine and trans in A-bodies. If I remember correctly the lever on the trans was longer and had a smaller hole then the A-body. But it could still be used. Chrysler didn't want to make the change easy. 383's also were different then 440's but that didn't stop many 440's being installed in B's and RR's. The main factor is you have to use 3 piece linkage. The one piece is a no for fitment.

The biggest change is with the top pivot arm. The correct A-body pivot has the down rod and the rod going to the carburetor on the same side. This moves the pivot arms and linkage rods away from the wiring junction block. The pivot for a B, C, and C body big block has this linkage on opposite sides of the pivot.

Is there a difference between the A- body kickdown linkage and B and C bodies? My car is a 1968 Barracuda that I am putting a 400 in. The Barracuda has a floor shift auto and I have the linkage for that part. The transmission and the linkage I have is from a 1968 Chrysler Newport that had a 383 with a 2 bbl.

I can't remember where but I thought I read that someone was selling a part for the transmission that would add part throttle kickdown to the 727. 1968 transmission only kicks down at wide open throttle. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
U need the 4 bbl bracket for the intake or modify your 2 bbl bracket. Also the top rod to the carb is also different. The PTKD can be found on 71 and newer valve bodies. I have a few. Kim

All three piece and can be used for a swap. I took a 383 auto out of a 70 Roadrunner and installed it in a 67 Dart. I used the linkage from the road runner in the dart. Small modification to clear the harness. two cuts two welds Also used the manifolds from the 70 Roadrunner. Shifter was an E-body mounted in front of the bench seat..

440 would be a different story and may require some mods due to the higher deck height. But I know if I was to do it I would make what ever I had in three piece work. Three piece is all the same concept. Eye to eye wide open throttle and eye to eye at idle. Geometry?

I even had made throttle pressure on the 671 Dyers in this truck. And I put throttle pressure on the common rail swap.

So for a fact what ever 3 piece linkage you have it can work. Your just not thinking with your dipstick Jimmy.

4.JPG

steve 027.jpg

-
Back