Big Block Motor Mount

-

matthon

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with the original 383, Schumacher headers and Accurate Exhaust.
The engine mounts are the Poly-Locs from Schumacher, as well as the tranny mount, however you can get these same mounts from any vendor.
Magnum Poly-Locs

The passenger side mount becomes hot enough to soften the poly, and the two halves slide apart, causing the motor to lean to that side. In my case, I have a tunnel ram and it will lean enough to pinch the carbs against the hood.

Schumacher has replaced the mount 4 times at no charge, and I have made two different heat shields. For the first 3 mounts I had a hood on it with a gigantic hole in it and it still melted. Nothing works. Part of the problem is the mount is designed to not pull apart, which works great for the driver side, however the passenger side it is not experiencing the same forces. I discussed this with Schumacher a number of times, but they do not make the mount.

The driver's side mount is more towards the front of the engine, but certainly not far from the header. And the passenger mount is really not that close to the header. Plus, I wouldn't exactly call it hot here in NY over the last few months.

The Poly-Loc mounts appear to keep the engine/trans more stable than the rubber originals,and are definitely stronger. I don't want to go back to rubber, and I don't think it would be a good idea to have 1 rubber mount.

Schumacher suggested a heat shield on mount #3, stating they had received the same feedback in the past for the A-Body big block mount, and also said they could not guarantee anything if I was not using their headers, which I am. I don't have any ill feelings towards Schumacher, as I stated earlier they do not make it.

I just want to find a solution, and since this is not an isolated issue, someone must have discovered a fix.

Any one have any thoughts or gone through this already?

20160430_202427-1.jpg

20160430_202453-1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

You Dont need a polylock mount on the passenger side. Swap it out for rubber.

Put solid mounts on it.

Get the Schumacher torque strap. I use one and it works good for racing.

Unfortunately, there's no room to run the Schumacher torque strap with factory big block A-Body motor mounts.

$3 bucks for the rubber mount, and about $42 for a set of solid.
I think I'll go for the solid, not a direct fit but I can make it work, and I'll be done with it for good.
I was thinking my next step would be to make a solid mount or find someone who could, but for the money, shipped to my door, it is a good deal.
Thank you FABO.

-
Back