big block stall behind a small block

-
If it was made for a BB motor it,s going to be tighter behind a small block by about 500RPM,as long as there is nothing wrong with it,mrmopartech

It depends on the small block. We need more info.

It all depends on how much torque & when it makes it. The small block might stall higher IF it produces more torque than the big block. RRR is right, more info is needed about both engines.

360. 10.3 compression, 528 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, engine quest heads worked over, performer rpm intake, headers, 750 carb. I have no info on the 440. I was just told its a 3500 Hughes stall behind a 440.

That could very well stall 3500 or more. What gear?

That'll help some. I bet it will flash to a good 3200 right quick like.

360. 10.3 compression, 528 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, engine quest heads worked over, performer rpm intake, headers, 750 carb. I have no info on the 440. I was just told its a 3500 Hughes stall behind a 440.

Do you KNOW for a fact that it's a Hughes converter, or just going on what someone has told you? If it's indeed a Hughes converter, take the part number off of it and email Hughes with your engine information and they'll be able to tell you what you're looking for.

Just because someone tells you it's something doesn't mean a damn thing. At a swap meet one time I saw a guy selling a T.C.S. high stall. The part number on it was 35-12SS and he claimed that it was good for 3000-3500 stall. The converter was designed to give 300-500 rpm over a stock TH350 converter. The stock 350 converter stalls at about 1400 RPM. The other sad part of the story was he wanted more for this used high stall converter than what we sold them for new.

Used high stalls(or any used converter) IMHO, make good door stops unless you know the history of the unit.

I had Hughes build 2 converters for me and as said above it all has to do with horsepower and torque. A converter that is built to stall at 3500 behind a 450 Hp engine may only stall 2200 or so behind a 250 hp engine. That was the explaination they gave me.

I had Hughes build 2 converters for me and as said above it all has to do with horsepower and torque. A converter that is built to stall at 3500 behind a 450 Hp engine may only stall 2200 or so behind a 250 hp engine. That was the explaination they gave me.

And they're right.

Problem is nobody can give you an answer with the limited information.

As other posters have stated, the HP/tq of the engine is going to play a huge part in stall speed. Say that converter stalled 3500 behind a tired mid 70, 240 hp BB and you put it behind a 450hp, 450tq 360. No way that converter stalls at a lower rpm than when behind the BB.

If it's a hughes, part number is either 24-35 or a 27-35 IIRC One is a 904 number other is a 727. They are written on with what looks like a black sharpie and should be red in color.

I've had good luck with Hughes converters the 2500-3500 shelf stuff. A true 3500 converter would be a good piece behind that SB you have. If a 528 mechanical, that cam kicks butt.

I may just get a new unit. The last thing I want to do is drop a couple hundred and it not work out for me.

I may just get a new unit. The last thing I want to do is drop a couple hundred and it not work out for me.

Just make sure you get a converter that matches YOUR application. If you want, send me a PM along with your email ad. and I'll send you a spec sheet for ordering a high stall. I don't care who get it from, but this sheet is the information needed to spec. out a high stall.

-
Back