big block to small block baracuda

-

9moes

Reaction score
I have a 69 baracuda notchback with a 383 4 speed, the motors weak . I also have a built 340 with a built 904 behind it .I would like to put the 340 in the 69 and keep the 4 speed .Can someone tell me what parts i will need and kind of the in and outs of this.thanks

Welcome to FABO! I guess my first question is: why not just build the 383 but since this is your thread, I'll answer YOUR question! Just like any other engine swap, you'll need the engine complete with all the brackets, pulleys, manifolds, etc. You'll need a small block K-member or conversion mounts, exhaust system, cooling system, wiring mods, and a small block 4 speed bell housing with Z-bar.

You need a small block bellhousing, fork, and bellcrank (Z bar) in terms of the transmission. Flywheel and clutch will be the same.
But... How is the engine mounted in the car? On a motor plate? With adaptor mounts, or a real big block K frame?

Thanks guys for the info. Was thinking about the swap for short term. Going to stroke the 383,but might take a while(money thin)Have every thing for the sb swap but the bellhousing,z-bar,and motormounts to the big block kmenber. was'nt sure about the clucth and flywheel ,but if those will fit i think i can find others parts fairly cheap.Any body done the 383 stroke.

The problem I think is if you have a big block K frame... I don;t know of any mounts to go from big block to small block...lol. But the stuff you're taking out is worth a bundle so you can always just get a slant K frame for nothing and get the V8 conversion mounts.

-
Back