big bolt pattern conversion can you use truck drum brakes

-

lunacy

Reaction score
I have a sbp 8-3/4 that I want to convert to bbp. I also have a truck 73 8-3/4 lying around and a truck 75 8.25 lying around, both with 10" drums and 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Will the backing plates off of either work with bbp conversion axles? I didn't know if they were the same backing plates as the B body brakes everyone talks about or not, but it would save me some money if I can just use what I already have.

Both the 8.75 and 8.25 truck bakes will work on the A Body 8.75 when using BBP conversion axle. Send the truck 8.75 BBP axles to Moser for shortening/re-splining for a relatively inexpensive conversion.

Aren't the truck axles different than passenger car axles? I thought I read they tapered differently.

Truck axles are long enough so there's no taper where it counts and can be shortened and re-splined to A Body size. Have previously done 3 sets, using one set in a 70 Dart with the 11 inch truck brakes, another set in another A Body 8.75 with 10 inch B body brakes and the last set is currently installed in my A Body 8.75 with 94-04 Mustang disc brakes.

The 71-74 B Body wagon's are another good choice for axles - however, with any kind of Mopar wagon gaining popularity, those might not be a good choice

Pulled the trigger on a Dr. Diff axles setup. By the time I shipped my axles to Moser, they cut them down, and I bought bearings, studs, and had them pressed on it wasn't that much of a difference in cost. And, I ordered at 11:35 and just got an email at 2:30 saying it's shipped. I can be cruising by next weekend. Thanks for the quick responses.

-
Back