Big Set Back. :(

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Well I have been doing some tunning on the motor/carb, just driving up and down the street. Car is starting to run very well, however I noticed a leak from the back of the motor. Looks like it is the rear main seal. Checked to see if it was a valve cover, or somewhere else, but it is not. It is the rear main.:angry7:

Guess I am just going to walk away from the car for awhile, before I try and tackle the issue at hand. Dropping the pan, etc to change it isnt something I want to do right now. Dam I'm pissed. I was so close with this car.:angry7:

Is there any chance it could be from the back of the pan ?
Any tips on changing this seal out would be appreciated.

Thanks.
John

I am guessing it's the cool dart pictured w/ a v8....That sucks dude....It could be the pan, but you still have to yank engine out...could be the rear of camshaft as well...It's definitly not the oil sender or dist o ring?????........stay calm...it will work out

Ya, its the green Dart,360.

You can change the rear main without taking the motor out.
Just not looking forward to it.:angry7:

Well I have been doing some tunning on the motor/carb, just driving up and down the street. Car is starting to run very well, however I noticed a leak from the back of the motor. Looks like it is the rear main seal. Checked to see if it was a valve cover, or somewhere else, but it is not. It is the rear main.:angry7:

Guess I am just going to walk away from the car for awhile, before I try and tackle the issue at hand. Dropping the pan, etc to change it isnt something I want to do right now. Dam I'm pissed. I was so close with this car.:angry7:

Is there any chance it could be from the back of the pan ?
Any tips on changing this seal out would be appreciated.

Thanks.
John
How bad is the leak. Is it a drop of oil you see forming or is it really leaking. I've struggled since my engine was new with this kind of leak a drop just showing up at the oil pan. I've never tried the rear main seal around the crank but tried different oil pan gaskets, intake ,valve covers and still same leak. Before you tear into it ask yourself how bad is it. I only say this because this is what the editor of MOPAR MUSCLE ask me when I asked him about the leak. Jayson

How bad is the leak. Is it a drop of oil you see forming or is it really leaking. I've struggled since my engine was new with this kind of leak a drop just showing up at the oil pan. I've never tried the rear main seal around the crank but tried different oil pan gaskets, intake ,valve covers and still same leak. Before you tear into it ask yourself how bad is it. I only say this because this is what the editor of MOPAR MUSCLE ask me when I asked him about the leak. Jayson

More of a drop of oil forming on the garage floor. Nothing gushing, but there is a leak.Just dont want to put all the detail work I have in this car with oil dripping on the bottom of it.

Johnny, I agree with you. Your car is gorgeous, Take the break then fix the drip. I know you will be glad you did in the long run.

Johnny, I had the same leak on my car when I put my engine in years ago. I too though it was the rear main seal and I walked away for awhile!!! It turned out that the rear oil pan seal was allowing oil past it between the block and the seal. When I just did my engine bay resto job, I made sure I sealed both sides of that end seal with "the right stuff". Now, no leaks.

Hope this helps.

Johnny, I had the same leak on my car when I put my engine in years ago. I too though it was the rear main seal and I walked away for awhile!!! It turned out that the rear oil pan seal was allowing oil past it between the block and the seal. When I just did my engine bay resto job, I made sure I sealed both sides of that end seal with "the right stuff". Now, no leaks.

Hope this helps.

Hey Steve,
Well I was wondering if that could be the case. Would hate to go through all the trouble of dropping the pan,putting it back together,and that not being it.
Could very well be the problem though.Wish we could use the one piece gasket they use on the later 360's.Would solve the 4 piece gasket problem.

Tell you the truth I hate these antiques right now. lol
Time for a break.

Is the seal installed correctly, IE; lip towards the inside?

I put the upper 1/2 in backwards a few years ago. It held for a little while, but eventually I had to buck up and pull the pan to replace it free of charge (customer's car...)

Johnny Dart: When I was building my 273, I used a Fel Pro engine gasket set. I thought the seals fit like crap. I sealed the snot out of it, but never felt comfortable with end seals from this set. I pulled the pan and got me an O.E. pan set from the local Dodge dealer. The seals were a much better fit! I didn't feel I had to make up the voids with silicone like I did with the Fel Pro set. Have yet to fire up and break-in this engine.

Johnny Dart: When I was building my 273, I used a Fel Pro engine gasket set. I thought the seals fit like crap. I sealed the snot out of it, but never felt comfortable with end seals from this set. I pulled the pan and got me an O.E. pan set from the local Dodge dealer. The seals were a much better fit! I didn't feel I had to make up the voids with silicone like I did with the Fel Pro set. Have yet to fire up and break-in this engine.

Are you just talking the pan gasket ?

Will have to find the part # for a 360 pan from Dodge,believe they are different..

Walk away for a week or 2 then come back to it. Working on a fresh CLEAN car is way easier that working on one that is covered in grease and grime. It doesn't take as long to fix things either.

If you walk away for a week or two you'll feel much better about working on it. A leak, even a small one, will make a mess under that car. Oil on the headers and exhaust will smell and leave stains.

If you are going to pull the pan I'd change the rear main seal. Its easy to do. If the seal is in backwards it won't leak sitting there idling. It will only leak under load. If they didn't put a film of sealer between rear cap and block it will leak there too. You should be able to get it 100% leak free if done correctly. Lot of people think you have to live with oil leaks because it is an old car. Not true, it can be bone dry leak free when done correctly.

Damn Johnny that sucks. I guess everything can't go perfect. If you need help I'm there bro.

no one has mentioned PCV yet. if it aint right the rear main will drip. no way around it. this is worth checking out though. it sure is easier than taking it all apart again. keep us posted.

Man that sucks. I hate when they start dripping like that.

Maybe try the desenex trick on the back of the block. Might require dropping the trans.

More of a drop of oil forming on the garage floor. Nothing gushing, but there is a leak.Just dont want to put all the detail work I have in this car with oil dripping on the bottom of it.
I know how you feel it's very annoying. I put the same detail into my car and wanted it to be perfect also that's why I'm on my third attempt in 5 years on the oil pan gasket. In the spring I'll pull the engine and replace the gasket and if it don't work I leave it to next year. I've tried the felpro sets and the one piece gaskets for my 360 block. I still get the one or two drop forming. I like steves idea about "the right stuff". I've heard that it is really good. Either way good luck with it and thanks steve for the idea "the right stuff" idea.Jayson

Hell, I've never owned or known of any Mopar that didn't leave a few drops of engine oil on the garage floor, it's kind of like a calling card or a dog marking his territory by pissing on the corner of the garage like my dog does.:-D:-D

Terry

-
Back