Biggest Missed Opportunity (Mopar)

-
There have been so many
70 Hemi Cuda for $6,000..........I thought was too much....about 1985. The guy wanted my 71 Cuda convertible but I didn't think his Hemi was worth that much more than my convertible. I believe now in same condition they are both worth about the same.

70 Roadrunner convertible. Lazer straight body, white, white top and burnt orange interior, $10,000. It was not a numbers matching had 2 barrel 383 been in it a long time. The underside was undercoated and the trunk patched with flat sheet metal and sheet metal screws. I was afraid of what he might have tried to hid with the undercoating. this guy was a body man and had owned the car for at least 15 years and it was done when he 1st got it. i should have bought this car.

The one I want the most is the 69 383 GTS Dart my brother had, but Dad wouldn't let me get it

Regrets, Not paying the $1,000 back in "84 to fix the body on my "73 'cuda
Not buying the AAR with original drive train (73,000 miles) still in it back in '85 for $3500. Or passing on the '66 SS396 4spd Chevelle Convertible the same year for $5,000.

Well, I've told this story before on here somewhere, but I'll bear the pain one more time. When I was but a young lad of 17, me and a buddy both got a job at this horse farm down the road from us. In the field under a tree sat a 1969 1/2 6 pack, 4 speed Superbee, orange with a black bench seat interior. I asked if the car could be bought and they said yes for $400.00, and better yet, I could work it off.

We worked all week at the farm because they were getting ready to have a horse show that saturday, digging postholes, building fences, digging pits for the porta-johns, cleaning stalls, everything... and busting our behinds all day in the early summer heat. When friday came, we asked to get paid because we were both BROKE, and the farm owner gives us each $20.00. When we met up town later that night, we asked each other if either was going to show up for the horse show the next day... we both looked at each other and said "HELL NO!!!" I had more to lose than Ron, and I still wish I could have bought that car, but if I had to work it off I would have been dead before I made the last payment!!! Went back by a little while later and it was gone, sold to a guy down the road and never seen again!!! Geof

In 1988 I was fresh out of high school and just getting into mopars. The local repair shop "Big Daves" was all about mopars. Dave had hemi motors everywhere and had been hording them for some time. If you are looking for a dated motor today he could hook you up. Anyways one his cars he raced in the 60's was a 1941 Willys with a Hemi. In the 80's he decided to build a tube chasis car out of it. I remember seeing this tube chassis with no body and huge 33X17 out back. The body was put on the chassis and some tin work done. Big Dave is about close to 7' tall and very big guy and when the car was almost done he couldn't get in or out of the car with out a struggle. So he put it up for sale rolling body and not finished and offered a Hemi engine with it that someone could build. This was back in 1988 he asked $30,000 which was way over my budget back then but someone picked it off him. Today a all steel Willys goes for more than twice that. Would be nice to have that car today in the garage. Jayson

I have a friend that passed on a '71 drop top 440 cuda because the clutch was a little to heavy and it didn't have PS. This was back in '74 or '75.

Back In 1999 I Missed 2 Very Nice 1970 Cuda Converts At The Spring Fling In Van Nuys, Cal.
Both Cars Sold Within The First Hour For Right Around $20k Each.
I Just Couldn't Pull My Wallet Out Fast Enough.
Saame Dude Bought Both Cars, I'm Sure They Went To Japan.

In 1974 I had just bought my 1st new car, 74 Scamp, 318, 3 speed on the floor, had the car about a month. Cruising around one night we passed a rinky dink used car lot with a yellow 70 Cuda out front. Just stopped to look at it, salesman comes out and say the owner wants it gone, $3000. Turned out to be a Hemi Cuda. It was yellow, black interior, automatic with about 30K miles. It needed a lot of dash work as the previous owner had torn out the aftermarket radio and speakers in the door panels, wires sticking out everywhere. It was traded in on a Nova with a six by the kids father because he had multiple tickets and was about to lose his license. With the new Scamp I couldn't handle $300 much less $3000 so I had to pass on it.

My missed opportunity was a '70 AAR 'Cuda, red, 4-speed.....totally restored and mint for $5500. It was at Pomona swap meet about 15 years ago('95?). The guy didn't have anywhere to store it, and it was being parked in his driveway and he was freaking out. I remember it DIDN'T have the cool rally gauges and maybe it didn't have a console either......can't remember. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find now. I sure blew it on that deal.......

In 1985,I was living in Mansfield Texas and working in Kennedale which is just south of Fort Worth.Between my home and my job there was a wrecking yard called ABC Chrysler.I would frequently stop and get parts from the many good bodies they had there.There was a Dart shell there that I looked at.It had no fenders,hood or doors.I looked at the VIN and it was LO23M8.At the time I didn,t know what it was so I wrote it down and kept it in my wallet for several years.I knew M stood for special order motor but I didnt know which one and did not understand the 0.I had no idea it was a factory Hemi Dart.I have been kicking myself for years for not finding out at the time what it was.Then this week on E-bay,Gene Snows {from Fort Worth}car shows up for sale and mentions in the ad that the car was found in a junkyard!!!

Old thread but couple weeks ago missed a sweet looking 71 Dodge Dart on craigslist for $500.00 was only listed for 2 hours. When I called to go see he was already showing it. Someone got a great deal slant 6 bucket seats looked very original not running. Bummer but I have scored a few myself.

I gave away a 69 gts b5 blue with white int. and red stripe 383 4spd. But i did get the rear end and brake set up off. I might have even had to pay someone to come get it I don`t remember i was about 14 and mom said get it out of the yard

Sold my old 70 RR V code (had a 360!! in it at the time) when it was worth the "least" in the "first" gas crunch. About the same year, the local "chivvy" dealer had taken in a nice clean 70 hemi Cuda with a grenaded hemi, had it sittin' out back for 1200. How stupid wast that?

My biggest regret.....selling my B5 blue, 4 speed, AAR cuda. Second regret....not buying a complete 68 hemi GTX......for 5.000 back in 84'

It was in the junk yard, missing the manifold and carbs, I was told I could have it for the price of scrap, they priced it at 300$. I said don't touch it, I'll be back with my trailer. An hour later, I come back with my trailer, and it is 2' tall.....

They gave me my money back and didn't understand why I was so upset.

Same deal with the Ford, they were actually stacked on top of each other.

-
Back