Bike lift...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
With the upcoming bike build/rebuild I decided I needed a lift. With how expensive metal is I probably could have bought one for damn near what it cost to build. Mine is 9' long, most of the ones I looked at were in the 7' range. Even athough this length the chopper is going to close to the edge...

View attachment lift.jpg

Prices vary some. Decent ones are in the $700-$800 range. But all the ones I looked at were 84-86" long or so. Mine is 108" long. Some of the ones I looked at had an extension for the length....for another $200 or so. I need to be able to move it with a bike on it. Did not see one that could be moved loaded. Including the Ram and casters I think I spent $600 or so. All depends on how bad you get bent over on the metal. When I went to get a quote the 2 pieces (14' total) I got quoted $175. When I bought it the 20' stick cost me $100. Piece of plate I used for the deck was even worse. 2' x 3' 1/8" quote was $88. 3' x 4' remnant cost me $29.

Hope to have the chopper on it today....

Prices vary some. Decent ones are in the $700-$800 range....

That's the thing. For not much more, you can buy a (used) two post hoist and just build a platform for it

But building stuff, anymore, is no longer "that cheap" either. Price of steel........................

That's the thing. For not much more, you can buy a (used) two post hoist and just build a platform for it

But building stuff, anymore, is no longer "that cheap" either. Price of steel........................

Thought about this.....would be stumbling all around it....with the posts and arms no doubt in the way damn near constantly..if I am picturing this right the bike will be between the legs...forcing me to climb over/under/lean across them..no thanks....not to mention my floor has some cracks very near where the posts would have to go....already spoke to the guy in Spokane Valley that sells dealer take out lifts....where the cracks are is going to be to close to the pads....with the trusses in the building the lift can not be moved far enough to clear them.....

Nice build Doug, I bought an electric Western about 12yrs ago.
It's been a back saver for sure.
I used it for a bench just the other day to rebuild a Case tractor carb
and changed the windscreen and antifreeze on my pards Goldwing right
before that.
Heres a pic we spoke of awhile back.
She's kind of dirty but I've been known to chase a rabbit
or stray dirtbike a time or ten.
F++ks with my friends minds and gives them a story to tell
the grandkids.

Attachments

• winter 2013- 2014 326.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 192
Nice build Doug, I bought an electric Western about 12yrs ago.
It's been a back saver for sure.
I used it for a bench just the other day to rebuild a Case tractor carb
and changed the windscreen and antifreeze on my pards Goldwing right
before that.
Heres a pic we spoke of awhile back.
She's kind of dirty but I've been known to chase a rabbit
or stray dirtbike a time or ten.
F++ks with my friends minds and gives them a story to tell
the grandkids.

Wish mine was that clean....The lift is done, need to tweak the ramp a bit. Due to the length of the front section, front of the bolts, it flexes a bit when lifting it. Don't know if I am going to bother trying to fix it, when I build the other bike I will not be using the front couple of feet....

View attachment IMG_4227 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_4228 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_4229 (Medium).jpg

View attachment IMG_4230 (Medium).jpg

Hell I still got ya beat for dirty.
Tell me I can't keep up with a dirt bike!
I took this hog plowin!

Attachments

• wild ride 044.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 163
  • wild ride 043.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 178
Hell I still got ya beat for dirty.
Tell me I can't keep up with a dirt bike!
I took this hog plowin!

Good times....used to go off roading when I was in Jersey. Had a 4x4 Ranger with a hopped out 302 in it. Used to enjoy chasing quads down. Buddy & I used to laugh at a couple of guys with Banshees, they would get all butt hurt when they could not get away from us...Are you still riding? Been way to cold here....

Yea, I ride year round except when the roads are icy
or the temps are in the teens.
I always ride on New Years Day no matter what.

I'm starting to show some wear and tear the last few years,
I'm thinking it might be time to slow it down a might.
Probably end up on three wheels in a few more years.

I love the chops but their not well suited to the type
riding I do nowadays.

Yea, I ride year round except when the roads are icy
or the temps are in the teens.
I always ride on New Years Day no matter what.

I'm starting to show some wear and tear the last few years,
I'm thinking it might be time to slow it down a might.
Probably end up on three wheels in a few more years.

I love the chops but their not well suited to the type
riding I do nowadays.
With a bit of luck next year will be the last year of the chopper for me. But I have started looking into a right side trans, spent some time talking to a former custom bike builder. Sounds like a rsd trans cures all the goofy problems of the big rear tires. Jims bike has a 300 series rear tire and ground clearance like a factory bike. He has ground down a large chunk of the primary case on the left side and various different things on the right. Really do regret starting the Dart. Would much rather be on a bike.

-
Back