Bill of sale in ohio

-
Never tried that one, I would imagine like an out of state inspection with VIN and mileage at a car dealer

I imagine it varies state to state, but in Texas, you can get a bonded title. If the bonded title remains clear for a few years, they will issue a new title. Of course, as part of the process, they check to ensure the vehicle is not stolen.

Every state seems different. In Georgia you won't get one, period.
In some states you HAVE to have one and they will give you one if you show up there with a registration from another state.
I think this title thing is overblown. But that's me.
Seems a title primarily is to let the buyer know if there are any liens on the car.
A state is as sovereign entity.

Signed, curious yellow.
:happy1:

Bill of sale is really not accepted anymore , the states have craked down on car titles

Ohio is particularly strict with their BMV laws.

Good luck.

My standard advise is to go to your local DMV and get the accurate information from them.

The last time I had to deal with Ohio for just a replacement to a title that was messed up that I had in hand it was a pain in the rear.

I think this title thing is overblown. But that's me.
Seems a title primarily is to let the buyer know if there are any liens on the car.

Sorry I don't agree at all. There has been numerous situations where collector cars were recovered, in a few cases, were caught about to leave this country forever, and were caught on a stolen list. Some of this stuff is valuable.

"Up here" the drug runners have discovered stealing not only RV trailers but MOBILE HOMES.

If titles are made too easy to modify, hack, forge, what protection do we have? After all, once your car is "on that trailer" it's gone. The only thing you've got in most states is that paper. This is EXACTLY the reason that later (68--on) cars had stamped transmissions, engines, and several body stampings.

Living in Ohio, I have heard that you can purchase a car from another state if that state doesn't have titles. If you buy a car from the state of Ohio without a title, I would suggest using a title company, there are a few and they charge about $500 to get a title. They usually will tell you if they can help you up front with some information from the car first. I'm not 100% sure if it works, but it is your only option in our state.

Definitely check with your dept. of motor vehicles. I live in Illinois and purchased a car from Maine. Maine does not title cars older than 15 years old. I bought the car with a bill of sale and the last registration card. Took the to DMV and they made copies and applied for a new title, which I now have. It cost the same as titling a car. Of course, the DMV verified the state I bought from had laws on the books as I stated.
My 2 cents
Andy

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Sorry I don't agree at all. There has been numerous situations where collector cars were recovered, in a few cases, were caught about to leave this country forever, and were caught on a stolen list. Some of this stuff is valuable.

"Up here" the drug runners have discovered stealing not only RV trailers but MOBILE HOMES.

If titles are made too easy to modify, hack, forge, what protection do we have? After all, once your car is "on that trailer" it's gone. The only thing you've got in most states is that paper. This is EXACTLY the reason that later (68--on) cars had stamped transmissions, engines, and several body stampings.

Not sure what you don't agree with? If it's that titles are overblown (In the common cases, I will add), we just disagree.
Many cars are not that valuable. Would I buy a 40K car with no title?
Probably not.
A 10K dollar car?
Depends on the states involved and other factors.
In Georgia registration would prove ownership as far as I know baring any valid arguments to the contrary.
The car in question should have been reported stolen long ago, if it was found missing
And if someone produces grand dad's long lost title from a drawer and then finds the associated car in Billy Bob’s garage, we’ll cross that bridge when it comes up in ten years.
Strange things do happen.
But not on a regular basis.
If the drug lords put my car on a boat to Russia, what good will that title do me?
Car extradition from one state to another?
Does that happen? Someone probably has a story. (Or can make one up)
It's registered in Georgia. Would the authorities in Idaho not recognize that and stop the thieves there if it was reported stolen?
They ask for license and registration. Not license and title, I presume.
I also presume a good false bill of sale without nice watermarks could defeat said registration. (Which is in official state records)
But then said false bill of sale could defeat a title if it was from out of state. Couldn't it?
I base my logic that the primary purpose of a title is to show liens (ownership) on the fact that once a car reaches a certain age, the state of Georgia does not require titles on them. Follow the money on this subject and look at Georgia’s new title transfer tax law for newer cars.
Other states do require a title on an antique car, of course. (Hello, Maine)
Basically a title ads intrinsic value to a old car. I think that sums it up.

Many people don't agree on this subject. Apparently Idaho agrees with you that titles are necessary.
Apparently Georgia doesn't.
If all states did issue titles for all cars in all states (at reasonable amount) it would save much debate and “worry”.
The state must basically run the numbers to see if it's reported, get more money and issue a title.
Been there, done that.
Got the T Shirt.
Now back to Ohio. Sounds like they can get a title from that sovereign state.

And who exactly does own all those untitled cars anyway?

let me see if I can explain all this:
1. states like al, ga, vt do not keep up titles in vehicles over a certain age. al: 1974 ga: just changes their cutoff to 1985.
2. you need to ascertain if oh recognizes this non title state business. if they do, they would either rogconize a bill of sale OR require you to have a registration for al ga
3. vt will send you a registration from there. you have to download the paperwork off their state site, the fee is small but they will charge you sales tax based on nada average value which can be rather high.
if you have a good "country" liscence office that you can catch when not busy, have them call your state dmv for the exact law there. seems every state is different. hope this helps......

well its a 69 charger and i should be able to triple my money back if i had to part it out, due to not being able to get a title

69 fish, if I'm not mistaken, when I bought a 70 Duster race car from NJ, it came with a bill of sale because it was too old for a title in that state. I had a dealer friend come by my shop and do an out of state inspection which I took to Fairfield DMV and got a clear title with true miles. If you need any info, pm me

The only thing you can do as stated above is apply for a new title bu ohio does not let you do that.
Here in VA they do not even reconize a bill of sale.
I have bought about 10 cars that came with bill of sales and applied for a abandond vehicle and with in 70 days I have the title in my hands. It's way cheaper then going through a title company but as I said I am not sure ohio allows that.

yes there are more than a few states that do not keep titles on their older cars , new jersey may also be one, also ga al vt . CONTACT the dmv on OHIO and tell them you have this car out of PICK ONE ( non title state) and ask why they would not recognize the bill of sale. YOU might have to get registration from that state which,,,,, then you might have to go thru VT. I would hATE TO think you would paRT THE darn thing out!!!!!!????????
I reralize some states are stupid over this, but over the years I've bought dozens of untitled states anf go them all titled on way or another. and NO I didn't pay the title co bAnDITS EITHER.....

-
Back