Biohazard

-

Teeth & Tires

A-retentive
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Most loved Barracuda? a chronical of my project
A man walks into a Plymouth dealership in January 1969. He leaves that day in a brand new Barracuda which he would then drive for the next 37 years until his death in 2006. You have to really love a car to drive it for 37 years.

He would still be driving it today but he left it to his grandson who, by his own admission, is not much of a 'car' guy. The grandson mostly kept it in storage with intentions of "fixing it up" but, facing a military reassignment overseas, it was time to let it go.

In January of 2013, a workplace b-s session about cars reveals that this guy was selling his grandfather's 1969 Barracuda. Holy Cow! I used to have a 1969 Barracuda!! The guy describes it as basically a one-owner, Arizona car, with all the original sheetmetal, and no major bodywork save for a few door dings and a repaint. (more on that, lol) So I give up my digits and within a few days, contact is made.

Here we are at the storage unit:
cudasale1_zps5492842f.jpg

So right off the bat, there's something fishy about the sheetmetal/bodywork story. '69 front end modded to accept '68 grilles or a '68 front end with a nose-job? Either way, it's all wrong up front and a sure sign of a frontal impact.

So what else do we have here? Basically, the car was originally Scorch Red with white side stripes, white interior, white vinyl top (did Plymouth do this?) factory air, performance indicator, 318 cubic inch V8, and 3-speed automatic with column shift. Oh yeah, and a fender tag that backs it all up.

cudatag_zps28b9f873.jpg

Right about now, I google and find For A-Bodies Only. I post a thread seeking some info about what this car might be worth and it would be the last time I ever do that ;) Along the way I discover the "Slickback", the factory-installed vinyl roof treatment that was only offered on fastbacks in 1969. Hmmm, very cool!

It has been 21 years since the last time I looked at or even thought about 2nd gen Barracudas so time spent on FABO was time very well spent. I made a second trip back to the storage unit with a freshened eye for the details (this time). What I determine is that the car is all there and solid. The Arizona floor pans are for real but that Arizona sun has straight up murdered the interior. The owner says it won't start but since he said it was running before, I feel confident that there's no significant engine trouble. Basically, this car needs some minor mechanical work and a LOT of cleaning.

Bio-Hazard
So, what's this all about? The car stinks. Really stinks. This car reeks of mold as bad or worse as any junkyard car that's been sitting with the windows broken out and getting rained-on for 20 years. If you didn't already know, mold is bad for you. But mold is extremely bad for my wife who suffered an exposure to the stuff that left her hyper-sensitive to it. Owning this car means cleaning it - every square centimeter of it - because it will need to be absolutely sanitized.

Negotiating with the owner went like this: He thought his 44 year old, one-owner, never-been-smoked-in, complete and almost running muscle car with a cool name must really be worth something whereas I did my homework and discovered that this car was worth less than either one of us expected it to be. Although it has a nice list of original options, it just isn't a Formula-S nor a big-block car. But I have a strong emotional and nostalgic attraction to this particular car and, as I explained to the seller, that's what it's going to take to get this car sold. We also talked about his Grandfather and how he kept this car, unmolested, for so many years and that a certain respect should be paid to that.

Sold.

When I went to get the car I took a couple friends, my truck, and a tow strap. I also took some starter fluid and jumper cables...gotta at least try. On the second attempt, the motor fired up and proceeded to belch smoke for the next 20 minutes. We pulled it out of the storage unit and let it idle while hand-pumping air into the tires. In the end, I was able to drive the car home rather than drag it but the 3-year-old flat spots in the tires made the trip pretty interesting. Thank god it was a short ride.

The day I got her home:
cudapost1_zpsd394b80f.jpg

cudapost6_zps0e853b79.jpg

Ugh...where to start.

Love it, It looks really straight for original paint, bumper are nice and the grilles (68 ) are in real good condition. Head rests! and looks like a wood grain wheel. It does look like it was garaged and well cared for.

please take the duster hubcaps off and find them another home! lol

OH yeah MORE pictures!

where to start? if it was me, restoring the '69 nose probably would not add much to the value of the car.

i would focus on making the car 1.fun to drive (with music) 2.clean and pretty 3.safe 4. electrically sound (so you dont get stuck on the side of the road somewhere)

most of our old rides have never had the wiring maintained. old connections, etc. your interior will take a considerable investment. if you can find a local guy that recover seats you will be +++ way ahead of the game, instead of spending huge bucks for "resto seat covers"

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
C

Yank the interior including the carpet. Set it out in the sun. If that doesn't work replace the carpet. Then the seat covers if it still continues to smell.

So here are the rest of the pics from bring-home day. It still hasn't completely sunken in that I, once again, have a 69 Barracuda in my driveway. Given it's relevance to this whole project,, I shall scan and post some photos of the car I owned from '88 to '92 but for now, enjoy these as they represent the 'start point' of this project.

IMG_0846_zpsbbb80f14.jpg

IMG_0848_zpsc35b5bc8.jpg

Factory Air...

IMG_0849_zps0385e149.jpg

Seats, not too shabby (aside from they're nasty) but dig the upholstery-shop door panels...

IMG_0850_zpsa3043419.jpg

Just a few stains on the ceiling but proper mold control mandates the removal and replacement of all "soft tissue" that cannot be thoroughly cleaned. I suspect the headliner will disintegrate as soon as I touch it.

IMG_0851_zpsce7ac4cd.jpg

Easiest thing to yank out, the carpet doesn't stand a chance but it's more the jute padding under it that I'm really after.

cudapost3_zpse7384da0.jpg

And what is probably the original 318. Note the cruise control unit on the fender.

cudapost5_zpsc670ac43.jpg

Neat color combo.Never seen it ,on a 67-69 Cuda before.

First issue on the table is engine status. No matter how pretty your car is, it's not any easier or more fun to push.

As is, the motor runs but that doesn't tell you much. I do know the gas in the tank, what little there is, is three years old so that needs to be rectified. Oil and coolant are clean. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are newish and the air filter has minimal use so it looks like all that would be required for a trip to the ethanol-free gas station is a battery and license plate borrowed from that VW you see up on jacks in the background. Done. Even poured some SeaFoam in the tank.

With the motor warmed up, I knock out a compression test. 7 of 8 return good numbers; all around 150psi. The odd cylinder shows me 136 and somehow I did the whole test with the throttle valve closed. Oh well, I'll run another test after all the cob-webs are smoked out. Let's move on.

The engine idles well and there is no longer any smoke at the tailpipe. Not concerned with ignition right now so fueling has got to be tended to. Three-year-old gasoline sitting stale cannot be good for the carb which I know has a stuck accelerator pump so, let's get that off of there and give it a full rebuild.

Here's the carb before removal. Ditto the cruise control main unit. With the cruise gone, there'll be one less potential vacuum fault.
IMG_0863_zpse1a66775.jpg

Cruise control gone.

IMG_0867_zps988ab718.jpg

Another look at the carb before undergoing surgery.

IMG_0879_zps24d27d71.jpg

The level of detail that went into the carburetor got a little stupid. Maybe it was 25 years in the Army but I saw brass and just had to polish it.
polishedfloats_zps9d4eb051.jpg

You can pull the front a/c vent off fairly easily to get that cleaned and disinfected.

3 years isn't as bad as it could be. You should smell 27 year old gas, nasty stuff lol.
I would fill it up and buy a couple fuel filters. Or with as little gas that is in it pull the tank and inspect it and the sending unit. you can pull sender without spill if it has 4 or less gallons in it. Get a new fill tube grommet before doing it.

After polishing the floats so nice that my drill sergeant from '86 would have approved, I looked at the venturis inside the carb and found some casting seams and a sort of textured finish that could be smoothed-out. Its the sort of thing I would have done on my VW that I tinker with incessantly so, why not do it here?

So here's the carb going back together with shiny floats and polished barrels.

cleancarb2_zpsb69d17dd.jpg

At this point, I realized that the venturi cluster really looked like crap so I took that back out and started polishing it up as well. Took a moment to snap a picture while working on the second venturi...

venturis_zps661667f8.jpg
"]
venturis_zps661667f8.jpg
[/URL]

So I reinstalled the carburetor, dropped in a new battery, and after much cranking to get fuel to the bowls...it started. With it running and warmed up, I got the idle and mixture screws set but the cold start settings were all wrong so I got the gauge out and adjusted all of the linkage rods and the choke thermostat.

With the engine stone cold, it fired up in what seemed like less than one revolution. I can live with that.

Subscribed. Very nice Cuda! What's the deal with the cruise control? Aftermarket?

I suspect so. No indication that cruise was ever available on the cuda in '69 though it was on other models. Could be a factory setup swapped in from a B-body or straight up aftermarket but I do not know.

IMG_0866_zpsdb2cda01.jpg

Nice story.I,ve never seen a vinyl top on a 69 Barracuda.I also like the color combo.Good luck with the project.

I've never seen a vinyl top on a 69 Barracuda.

Until this car, neither had I. I had to go online and find scans of the original brochure and, voila, there it was. The "slickback". I wouldn't have asked for it myself but it seems like a rare option so I ain't complaining about it. One nice thing about it is that it has been redone because I am certain that the original top got roasted by that Arizona sun but too bad they didn't do it 'right' because the original top was one piece. This one has seams :(

Make an offer. I've yet to pull the extra speedo cable and turn signal stalk with wiring but I eventually will get it all out.

I put a mirror polish on the choke butterfly but had to remove it to do that. In the process, the head broke off one of the screws that secure the flapper to the pivot rod. Ordered some brass screws to replace mine but they were the wrong size.....thanks internet. I eventually got the correct size but while I was waiting for the first ones to come in, I got antsy and started on the interior.

The seats, kick panels, sill plates, seatbelts, and carpet all came outwithout a hitch revealing some very solid floors.

AZfloorrear_zps4d0b2815.jpg

AZfloorfront_zps80eb162f.jpg

Hmm...looks like my hubcaps are the same ones from Dennis Weaver's Valiant in the movie "Duel".

Hmm...looks like my hubcaps are the same ones from Dennis Weaver's Valiant in the movie "Duel".

Love that movie! The whole thing is on YouTube now. Anyway, looks like your going to have to have a lot of time into this car to get I as clean as possible. Subscribed! Oh and great name for the car:)

Haha! I certainly do not wish my car to be known as "biohazard". In fact, the whole point is to counter-effect the very notion. No, no...it's more just a name for the project.

Doing work. Will put more pics up tonight.

Nice find, Congrats on finding it. Looking forward to your build.

Got all the seating pulled up, time to get the cargo floor out so we can scrub the floor real good.

as-ishatch_zps9eb2e344.jpg

With that done, I got the car up on ramps and pulled out some body plugs from the floor so I could go at it with a scrub brush, some Dawn soap, and a helluva lotta water. Pulling the plugs will allow for good drainage making it easy to get the car dried-out quickly. Don't wanna damage those floors!

IMG_0910_zpsba73b39b.jpg

In this next pic, you can see that some of the black waxy seam sealant was coming off. I'll ultimately take it all out and put something else in its place.

IMG_0911_zps65625133.jpg

Also did the trunk area, the spare, the jack, and started pulling the old, dry-rotted trunk seal (note replacement sitting on spare)

IMG_0912_zps32b849d0.jpg

As parts come out from the interior, they get washed, dried, and thoroughly disinfected. Take, for example, the black steel cargo deck: after cleaning it, I rubbed the whole thing down with a plant-based oil before setting it in the parts corral. Soft stuff like the cargo carpet and any jute insulation get bagged and tossed as they are the worst for harboring mold spores and other stinkies.

A check of the car a bit later on and it was smelling a little less than before. Progress!

-
Back