Blacklace, this is ALL your fault. 1975 Dodge Colt....new project

-
SLIGHT UPDATE

The Colt is under the deck right now. I have located a van through a friend.....325.00 buys the whole van, delivered. I will pull the engine, trans, wiring, computer, etc. I might snag the rear end, maybe not. I am not sure about keeping it EFI, but might try. It is going to get a square tube frame built by me, moved inboard, to allow a wider tire and wheel. I intend to keep the steel wheels, but have them widened, and maybe with a set of mismatched hubcaps? I kinda like the honeycomb caps that came on the Datsun B210's.

LMAO I can't believe I missed this thread, Very cool and sorry. LOL!!!!

Any updates????

major fabrication is an understatement!!

235.JPG

232.JPG

237-1.JPG

239.JPG

These are going to be a couple of really cool projects.
Where are you guys at?

Wow. You are much further then I am.
I am trying to finish a couple of flip cars, so I can have the space to get started.

More pics or details on the install?

What did you need to do?

Reason I ask is I found a clean -fairly clean-78 or so today and I am curious.

Thank you, ROB

Just something to think about here. My best freinds dad as a kid took a 73-75ish COLT and put a /6 in it.

I remember the specs pretty well. I always thought it was interesting.

He did a /6 with high compression and a cam, headers etc. It was about 11.25:1 and he did run it on the street that way although he keep his foot out of it on regular.

He ran real tall tires on 14" rims, called it his Oklahoma overdrive. He left the stock rear in it.

So how did it do?

He said that driving it nice he could pull mid-20's for MPG with the tall tires and his foot out of it.

Performance was mid-13's in the quarter with out NOS and some short slicks on it.

With the NOS it ran in the high 11's. That was with good gas etc.

He was a low-buck, gas welder in the garage type of guy. Pretty handy and he made everything from scratch. And yes, he had to butcher the firewall etc. to get it in there. Lots of low-buck fabbing went into it.

At the time I was a teenager and had nowhere near the skills to do it.

Just something to think about.

ROB

I degress, mine is sitting under the deck right now. I am trying to finish some flip cars, to get some funds to get it done. never ending circle I am afraid...

As a matter of fact, they did. In the '90s there was a creature called a Spirit R/T that had a double overhead cam Turbo 2.2. The cylinder head was designed by Cosworth.

Actually the head for the TIII found in the 91-92 Spirit R/T's and the IROC R/T Daytona's was designed by Lotus.

I degress, mine is sitting under the deck right now. I am trying to finish some flip cars, to get some funds to get it done. never ending circle I am afraid...

i dont blame you...they always cost more,take longer,and run slower than expected!thats the way my projects seem to go anyway!

cool projects! they almost look like miniature challengers. i have a 78 datsun B210 in the backyard that i was going to put a 302 ford in, but instead its going to go to a friend and he's going to put a nissan 4banger in it. oh well....
-Tim

cool cars but i think they are too short of a w.b. for a heavy v8. if i was going to do a v8 id go with an all aluminum rover v8. but really id look at putting a neon srt4 engine adapted to a world class t5 trans. sure v8s have been done in them, and they do work, they do fit, but from what ive seen at the track they are definitely a handful.

Thanks guys. It needs quite a bit of work. I always thought about a 318 in it even shortly after I got it, 16 years ago. The driver side floor is rotten right through into the rocker panel. The trunk is in really good shape though. I never knew what to do about the struts up front if going to a v8.

my front springs broke...on the trailer,on the way to the muffler shop.i took it all apart, filled the struts with ATF after a good cleaning.then i took a set of v-6 cavalier z24 struts,cut off the lower spring mount,and rewelded it about 1 3/4 in. above original colt mount.that raised the car enough to use those 15 in. wheels and tires. the weight transfer is awesome off the line!!!car tracks straight,and drives very true.too bad i blew the motor before i could even get those new slicks broke in!!!

-
Back