Bleeding brakes...

-

tubbedamx

Location Boise, Idaho
Reaction score
I've got a '67 cuda that I can't seem to get any fluid from the rear brakes.

Basically, everything is new. Mastercylinder, disc brake distribution valve from a '73+ A-Body, new rubber brake lines, frontend changed to '73 disc brakes "New calipers" and new rear discs from a late model jeep cherokee on the back.
Bench bled the mastercylinder and I I've been using a mightyvac hand vacuum pump and I can't get anything to he the back. The fronts have pleny of fluid.

I haven't tried using two people yet "One on the brake pedel and me under the car" but that is next.

A guy at work said there is something in the distribution block that could be blocking the rear lines. I can't seem to find anything on the internet showing whats inside.
Any suggestions??

mcyl-moparts-1010.jpg

DSC08099.jpg

DSC08548.jpg

I think if you primed all of your calipers with brake fluid that might get better results.
did you prime the master cyclinder correctly? also check the lenght of pushrod that
goes to master cyclinder.When you modified the disc brakes,you might also have to change the travel of the pushrod.go by the lenght of pushrod that you got disc brakes from. hope this helps. i'll be doing the same thing in the near future. good luck

Disconnect the line at the distribution block that goes to the rear. Then see if you get fluid out of the block.

A guy at work said there is something in the distribution block that could be blocking the rear lines.

There should be a valve stem on your metereing valve assembly, that needs to be held out with a special tool to alow flow. the purpose is to block fluid when system pressure is relativly low (3-130 psi). or...you can use 2 people and pedal bleed, or gravity bleed (takes a long time).

thanks for the advice....

last night I opened the rear bleeders we'll see if gravity wins out, if not I'll get the wife to come out tonight and pump the brakes and see what happens

There should be a valve stem on your metereing valve assembly, that needs to be held out with a special tool to alow flow. the purpose is to block fluid when system pressure is relativly low (3-130 psi). or...you can use 2 people and pedal bleed, or gravity bleed (takes a long time).

That or a plugged rubber line over the differential.
This post reminded me of something too...
I bought a power disc parts group from a member here a while back. The little stem on that centering valve found its way out of the shipping box and was snapped off upon arrival. It's screwed. I'm going to need another valve. :(

A guy at work said there is something in the distribution block that could be blocking the rear lines. I can't seem to find anything on the internet showing whats inside.
Any suggestions??

Here is a diagram of whats inside the distribution block as requested

Attachments

• Distribution Block.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 160
-
Back