Bleeding brakes...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Not a Mopar, my 02 Cheby 2500. But with the smart folks on this site I am sure someone will be able to edjewmakate me. ABS module needed to be repaired. Torx screws were stripped so I had to remove the ABS pump. Looked like someone was already in it, 3 of the screws were stripped, bolts that mounted the pump were far from tight...same for the brake lines. Brake lines were open for 2 weeks. Filled m/c and pumped the pedal. No fluid. Tried my trusty vacuum pump...nada. Lost my pressure bleeding tank, so I got another one. Manual says to use 25-30psi. Pumped it to 30psi. Got lots of air. Keep at it til I had good, bubble free streams.
Here comes the huh?...
Set tank at 30psi. Open left rear bleeder. Get a stream...about double what you would if you were pumping the pedal...then it stops. Crack the right rear bleeder...nada...crack the right front...same stream as the right rear. Crack the left front...nada. only way to get fluid from the left is to lightly pump the pedal...did this while leaving the pressure on it. After pumping the pedal both lefts will bleed. Just out of curiosity I tried the rears...nada. My scanner software has the ability to perform the automated bleeding procedure...which I did several times.
I thought that with a pressure tank applied you could push all the fluid out of the m/c just by opening a bleeder and waiting...
Sorry for the length..

I've had a bit of trouble with ABS systems too.It's always after the unit that trouble starts. I have had better luck with the 2-person bleeding method.
I remember this one GM car Where I finally figured out that the ABS unit was seized inside. I replaced it with a used one and then it all worked out. But, man it is hard to condemn an ABS unit;they are not cheap.IIRC, some of those require special procedures.
Sorry, I can't be of more help. I try to stick to things I know, and ABS is not really one of them.
Ask me about running 11.2 Scr on 87E10.......

I did end up with a very firm pedal. Have had the truck since 07 or so...pedal was in the floor when I bought it. Bled them back then, pedal got better.so I stopped..I drove another D-max truck, pedal was identical to mine so I figured that was "normal". Should not have given up so easy back then. Buddy has been telling me I need to use the abs pump to bleed them. Signed up for
ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information
again, only thing it says about the abs pump is to hook up a scan tool and run the "automated bleeding procedure" to aid,in removing any air that may be trapped in the BPMV...I ran this procedure multiple times. Next up...flush out the power steering/hydroboost system...

-
Back