Bleeding Brakes

-

fishman

Reaction score
I have a 69 Cuda w/power disc. I was trying to bleed them and the secondary prop. valv stops the fluid from going to the rear. The only cars that that came on is power disc. I was wondering if I had to have the car running to bleed this set up. It is not ready to start yet I was just just trying to get the brakes right. Anyone run into this problem? Thanks

I have a 69 Cuda w/power disc. I was trying to bleed them and the secondary prop. valv stops the fluid from going to the rear. The only cars that that came on is power disc. I was wondering if I had to have the car running to bleed this set up. It is not ready to start yet I was just just trying to get the brakes right. Anyone run into this problem? Thanks

It helps to have the car running only by making the brake pedal easier to push down. It sounds like the spool valve (if that proportioning valve is using one) is stuck, the ports in the valve could also be blocked. Also if the master cylinder brake rod is not coming back far enough it won't open the ports within the cylinder and let oil in for the rod to push.

The fluid is going thru the main prop. valve but stops at the second one. This valve is called a hold off valve it delays the rear brakes a split second to prevent lock up under hard braking. It seams that I don't have enough pressure to open the valve. Anyone

The fluid is going thru the main prop. valve but stops at the second one. This valve is called a hold off valve it delays the rear brakes a split second to prevent lock up under hard braking. It seams that I don't have enough pressure to open the valve. Anyone

Okay so we're talking about the valve at the back end. Disconnect it from the lines and have a look at it. I've seen some that employ an orifice that limits the speed that the fluid can travel to the brake cylinders. Either way make sure it ain't plugged.

P.S. I've bleed my share of brake systems and getting oil to the 4 corners has never been a problem.

Terry

I agree I've never run into this problem before. This valve is new I just bought it. I'm tempted to run a one peice line to the back but I'm dont want to have that lockup problem. The factory didn't put them on in 67. I guess they found there was a problem and started in 68. Maybe some one on here has run across this before. The reason I asked about he engine running is because the manuel says you need to have 500 psi to test these valves. Thanks for your input.

had the same problem with my duster after front disc conversion and car rebuild
I just took it out put a new pipe and union in and brakes work just fine
mike

lots of guys eliminate the stock p-valve and mount an adjustable p-valve about 18 inches back from the master cyl.

I have one of those SSBC valves and have it crank all the way out out. This gives me a 70 /30 split, front to rear. It looks good...was a ***** to plumb...

If I had to do it again, I would tee the fronts and plumb the adjustable valve in the rear line.

My '9er now stops straight and quick.

Jim

DSCN1089 (Small).JPG

Thanks, I just talked to a guy that has a prop valve made for a later car. He said that the factory started building everything together in one unit. He says that all my lines will go right into this one. I will just put a one piece line going to the rear, just happen to have a new one from The Right Stuff. Hope this will solve this problem so I can move on to the next one. Don't know what that will be LOL.

-
Back