Block Hardware Package / Question

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i have got the block hardware package P5249261AB for my SB. This one includes a new oil Filter plate and gasket.

Now i tried to put on the oil filter plate and saw that the gasket won´t seal, the Gap is more as twice as thick as the gasket itself. Checked it both directions to make sure, but it definitely wont work.

I searched in my old parts for the original oil filter plate and found out this one fits better but as with the new plate the Gasket is loose, not compressed.

The Block is from 1990, roller cam LA. The instructions say it will fit LA from 64-92 and magnum etc.

Somebody had the same problem? It seems i need to get a much thicker Gasket. Are there differences in the mounting pad for the oil filter???

Thanks for Info,

Michael

compare the old filter plate to the new one. Place them side by side on a flat surface and check how high off the table/surface the center hole where the threads for the plate mount to. See if you can notice any other differences that the old one and new one may have.

There is a difference between the old and the new one; the old one is deeper and fits better, but with the supplied gasket there´s no chance to seal (Gap is twice as thick as the gasket). I threw away the old gasket when stripping the block.....

maybe i try to get a rubber seal that´s thick enough, but i´m a little concerned about the heat from the block. Do you think it will last?

Michael

There is a difference between the old and the new one; the old one is deeper and fits better, but with the supplied gasket there´s no chance to seal (Gap is twice as thick as the gasket). I threw away the old gasket when stripping the block.....

maybe i try to get a rubber seal that´s thick enough, but i´m a little concerned about the heat from the block. Do you think it will last?

Michael
the fel pro gasket set has a thicker gasket i had the same problem

after a little research i found out that this is a common place for leaking. I will try to get another gasket, thicker one, and use the old filter plate (with this one it´s not as bad as with the new one supplied in the kit.....:angry1:).

Thanks at all for the information!

Michael

I know this thread is old but thought I would answer the OP question for the rest of you and ask a question of my own.

"Oil filter plate and gasket will not fit small blocks 273/318/340/360 '65-'92 because the parts in kit are different and fit the newer Magnum blocks. (the other parts fit both generations)

And my question: The kit P5249261AB is a discontinued part, so does anyone have a replacement source for a similar kit or maybe for the individual pieces? Thank you.

The kit that he's referring to was a hardware package and had the freeze plugs, oil galley plugs, filter plate and hardware to mount it... Sort of a block prep kit...

Here is a parts list:

block kit one.png

-
Back