blowing taillight fuse

-

armillotti

Reaction score
I keep blowing the running light fuse as soon as I pull the headlight switch on Help???

try pulling the bulbs one at a time til you find the light thats causing the short, then trace the wiring. If the bulb trick doesn't work, you probably have a bad headlight switch. good luck

Check all the fixtures bulbs and sockets including the tag light. Outside where weather efeects first. Then inside to stuff, glovebox lamp, trunk lamp, ashtray lamp.
Many times the aftermarket radio wiring is the fault.
Yep there is or was a light there too. I have been known to start right there or anywhere aftermarket is found.

You can also remove the headlight switch, and apply power to the wire that goes to the rear lights. If the fuse still blows, the switch is OK. If the lights work properly, the switch is no good.

I was having the same issue, my car does not have a radio, it turns out that who ever pulled the radio out, left a bare hot wire, and it was shorting out on the dash, i cut it and taped it and have not had the issue since.

I am rewiring mine and hopeing this will take care of all my wiring issues.

You can also take the hot wire to the light circuit off and check it to ground to see if something in that circuit is shorted and then just start weeding it out sction by section. Good luck with it. I found that wiring issues can drive a person almost insane!!

It sounds like you`ve got a hot wire going to ground when you turn your switch on. If it has just started acting up, is there something you`ve done recently to the car that may be causing it, like installing a radio or some other modification or maintenance? Many times when something is removed and/or replaced a screw gets run through a wire. It`s always a good place to start looking.

thanks I think the hazzard switch was the problem I think it was on the wrong way and was grounding out ? the lights are working and the fuse isnt blowing thanks everyone for the help Jim

-
Back