blown 440 timing help needed

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
iam wanting to replace my duel point distributor with a locked out electronic distributor and set the timing to 28... i have a 41/2 in crank hub that has one mark at tdc... there are no other marks, was thinking a timing tape, but cant find one for my dia crank hub...does the tape have to be for a specific hub dia? is there any other way of marking the hub?

@flathead31coupe ,4.5" dampener. Circumfrence is pi times d. Divide result by 360 to get distance of one degree. Multiply that by the 28 degrees you want.
I came up with a mark 1.099 (roughly) from tdc. Make a mark 1 3/16ths(and a scoshe more) . You will be within a degree either way.
Then, use your advance/retard mark to adjust from there for more or less timing.
Edit: tried to correct the measurment but it didnt take. SHOULD BE 1 3/32.

Last edited:
Lookup "Hillbilly Timing Tape" by crackedback and do that. Much better than timing tape slingin off.

iam wanting to replace my duel point distributor with a locked out electronic distributor and set the timing to 28... i have a 41/2 in crank hub that has one mark at tdc... there are no other marks, was thinking a timing tape, but cant find one for my dia crank hub...does the tape have to be for a specific hub dia? is there any other way of marking the hub?

Why are you locking out the timing?

@flathead31coupe ,4.5" dampener. Circumfrence is pi times d. Divide result by 360 to get distance of one degree. Multiply that by the 28 degrees you want.
I came up with a mark 1.099 (roughly) from tdc. Make a mark 1 3/16ths(and a scoshe more) . You will be within a degree either way.
Then, use your advance/retard mark to adjust from there for more or less timing.
Why are you locking out the timing?
i was told by my blower guy to do so...not shure the reason...lol

Edit: tried to correct the measurment but it didnt take. SHOULD BE 1 3/32.
so go from my tdc marh and measure 1 3/32 that should get me close to 28 advance?

Yep. And then i would number stamp that mark 28, so you dont confuse with tdc. My maxwedge damper was done that way (just not by me, and marked at 38°)
thanks do you know what the measurement for each degree...then i could just scrib marks i need as well

-
Back