-

scremn

Reaction score
I would like to change the color of the bulbs on my instrument
panel to blue. I have a Autometer Cobalt tach, oil pressure,and
water temp gauges and they light up blue at night. They really
look good. Is it safe to use the autometer blue light covers on the
instrument panel bulbs? Does anyone make a replacement bulb in
blue that is safe to use? I am open to your suggestions. Thanks.

There's no reason you can't use the blue covers on the instrument cluster bulbs, as long as they'll physically fit -- I don't know what kind of bulb the Autometer gauges use; there are different sizes. Call up Candlepower at 1-800-368-2700. Talk to Kenny or Bill, tell 'em Dan Stern sent you. The blue covers will block a lot of the light coming from the bulb, so you'll need brighter bulbs. If you have a '65 or older car, it takes the metal bayonet-base bulbs and the type you'll want is #3886X. If you have a '66 or newer, it takes the all-glass wedge-base bulbs and you'll want #2886X.

Thanks for that information , Dan. I appreciate it.

There used to be blue and red 194 bulbs available at the local parts store. Ran them for a while. They just make less light (generally a good thing). I now just use the rheostat to dim the dash lights as much as possible. Other than taming down the high beam indicator, I'm not sure there's much benefit. Making everything the same color is a noble goal, and I wish you luck. Just keep preservation of your night vision the top priority.

-
Back