Bob's Component Resto, Part 3: The Fender Tag (plus bonus resto)

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Good evening fellow Moparites. I hope you enjoyed the first two installments of Bob's Component Resto and are sleeping well after reading these posts before going to bed. Tonight we feature the resto of the fender tag for my 1974 Gold Duster. Perhaps replacement would be a more apt description of tonight's installment. I've also thrown in an added palate cleanser for those of you who enjoy restoring old stuff, so be sure to read until the end. When I first contacted the individual selling this car, I inquired about what was on the fender tag of the car in the ad. The person who answered was completely oblivious to this topic and didn't even know what a fender tag was. Turns out that the fender tag was missing on the car, and the original owner had no idea as to where it went. After I bought the car, I made a priority of replacing the missing fender tag, and as such contacted Dave Wise at MMC Detroit. They make very nice replacement fender tags and require rock solid documentation to create a correct one for your car. Since my Duster came with the original broadcast sheet, bill of sale and window sticker, there was no problem with them creating a new one for me. The first photo is what engine compartment looked like when I bought the car. Note the missing fender tag on the left inner fender. The next photo is of the new fender tag in place but not yet painted. The third photo is of the replacement tag painted in three coats of JY9 Tahitian Gold Metallic paint, mounted in its final position. I found two correct original screws to fasten it to the inner fender with, and also incorporated one of the often discarded factory inspection stamp tags fastened to the left screw. The inspection tag is very thin and flimsy. The remaining ones that you may come across are often about to fall off. I attached mine to the inner fender with double sided trim tape underneath to provide strength and rigidity, and I think it looks great. I found evidence that at one time the factory original inspection tag had been attached under the left fender tag screw, so that is why I located it there. Now, my Duster will live forever with all of its documentation complete and correct. And now for the palate cleanser for all of you resto junkies out there! And no, this resto has nothing to do with cars. Back in the day I was a pilot in the U. S. Navy. Before I went to flight school, I was temporarily assigned to an operational squadron in Jacksonville FL for five months prior to reporting for flight training. The squadron parachute rigger (PR) shop made me a helmet to wear when I'd fly in the back seat of the TA-4C aircraft assigned to my base. I also used this helmet when I was a student in flight training, but never used it after I left the Navy. I eventually donated it to an air museum in Farmingdale NY, but regretted that decision later and was able to get it back. When it came home it was in pretty rough shape, so I spent a great deal of time fixing it up and replacing all the missing components. So if you're wondering, this is what a Navy pilot would wear when flying operational missions back in the 1970s (please refer to photos). Here are the details for you detail junkies. Helmet: Type APH-6 aviator's helmet with tinted visor and extra night (clear) visor in a felt sleeve. Oxygen Mask: USN Type MS-22001 oxygen mask with butterfly fittings. Boom Microphone: Type M-133/U dynamic microphone on swivel fitting. Survival Strobe: Type SDU-5/E survival strobe light, attachable to visor assembly via Velcro patch on visor cover, with lanyard. So there you have it. Tonight's installation plus an extra resto bonus to help you fall asleep. PS to any shipmates out there: Any Navy guys out there who served in the PR rate back in the day? Remember these helmets? This one is from VA-87 at NAS Cecil Field, flying the A-7E. Please weigh in. Thanks!

1974-Plymouth-Duster-Muscle & Pony Cars--Car-101028193-a8b479c89741036f7809154b4055b1fc.JPG

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG

Last edited:
I just ran across your series of posts. I saw plenty of those "brain buckets" back in the day. I wasn't a rigger, but an AQ in A7 A/B's and worked flight deck operations in VA-56 (USS Midway) and VA-155 (USS Oriskany). Both squadrons based out of NAS Lemoore, CA.

I just ran across your series of posts. I saw plenty of those "brain buckets" back in the day. I wasn't a rigger, but an AQ in A7 A/B's and worked flight deck operations in VA-56 (USS Midway) and VA-155 (USS Oriskany). Both squadrons based out of NAS Lemoore, CA.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that there are a few of us squids running around here on FABO. Always had the greatest respect for the AQs, and the AOs (red shirts) too!

I found two correct original screws to fasten it to the inner fender with

View attachment 1715544941

Hi Bob
About the fender tag screws, I've read somewhere that from factory the left one has a bigger head than the right one.
I don't know if it's correct, but looking to my original fender tag, effectively the left screw is bigger that the other one.

Fender tag.jpg

François

Hi Bob
About the fender tag screws, I've read somewhere that from factory the left one has a bigger head than the right one.
I don't know if it's correct, but looking to my original fender tag, effectively the left screw is bigger that the other one.

View attachment 1715999689

François
I'm not sure that's correct, Francois. I've never seen them two different sizes. There would be no reason for doing this, to my way of thinking. Chrysler tried to keep things as simple and inexpensive as possible. This would add extra complexity to the manufacturing process. To me, the one on the right looks to be the right size. The one on the left looks too big. Your thoughts?

Honestly, Bob, I don't know. I just remember that I've read something about a different screws size somewhere. Maybe here on the forum.
Here's a pic of my fender tag when I bought the car. Since then, the inner fender paint has been redone.
I omited to reinstall the little tag as I didn't know what it was.
Do you think that this little aluminium tag on the right is an inspection tag?
fender tag.jpg

Of course, I can't be sure that the fender tag has never been removed and/or the screws replaced.

Maybe the better way to determine the right size of the screws is to verify on an untouched wreck in a junkyard
On my side, it's impossible : no Mopars in junkyards :)

All the best
François

Last edited:
Tag screw differences are a plant specific thing.

Know your plant and it's practices.

Tag screw differences are a plant specific thing.

Know your plant and it's practices.
.......I also read somewhere (probably on FABO) that the corners of some tags have a crease where they were installed with one screw and bent up prior to paint, and later fastened with a second screw.

Again, plant specific as are the secondary inspection tags and punches.

...and whether or not the underside of the tag is painted.

.......I also read somewhere (probably on FABO) that the corners of some tags have a crease where they were installed with one screw and bent up prior to paint, and later fastened with a second screw.

Effectively, my fender tag seems to have a crease around the screw on the right. I will check if the underside is painted
My plant : Hamtramck

Crease.jpg

What is H31?

H51 is AC
H41 is strat-o-vent

Honestly, Bob, I don't know. I just remember that I've read something about a different screws size somewhere. Maybe here on the forum.
Here's a pic of my fender tag when I bought the car. Since then, the inner fender paint has been redone.
I omited to reinstall the little tag as I didn't know what it was.
Do you think that this little aluminium tag on the right is an inspection tag?
View attachment 1716000053
Of course, I can't be sure that the fender tag has never been removed and/or the screws replaced.

Maybe the better way to determine the right size of the screws is to verify on an untouched wreck in a junkyard
On my side, it's impossible : no Mopars in junkyards :)

All the best
François
Bonjour, Francois: As you have likely noticed, you will get a number of differing opinions about this topic on this website. The Chrysler Corporation was far from standardized back in the 1960s and 1970s. What one factory (St. Louis, for example) did might be different than what another factory (such as Hamtramck) did. I do believe the tag under the right side of your fender tag is an inspection tag, as the "U" shaped cutout next to the number 8 is consistent with the inspection tag cutouts that I've seen many times here in the states. It is possible that this tag was relocated here sometime after the car was built, possibly even from another car. In any case, I've never seen a tag like this attached to a fender tag. As far as the screws are concerned, I'm almost certain that the left screw was replaced at some later date with an incorrect larger screw. I see a lot of fender tags at my favorite junkyard, and I've never seen two different screw sizes. They're always the same size, which is the one on the right. Notice how the oversized screw on the left partially covers the letter "C" underneath it. Chrysler would never do that intentionally. I hope that this helps and that the rest of your day is tres bien!

Francois: Cruiser again here. Sounds like you've done a magnifique job restoring your engine compartment. I just found this old photo of what my engine compartment looked like in my 74 Duster when I purchased it in April of 2019. Here's that photo, and a shot of what it looks like now. As always, all my best on your Demon!

Duster dirty engine.JPG

IMG_3319.jpg

Is your Duster a fold down rear seat ? AKA France Ave Drive In free pass ? Lol

Is your Duster a fold down rear seat ? AKA France Ave Drive In free pass ? LIs your Duster a fold down rear seat ? AKA France Ave Drive In free pass ? Lol
Yes, my Duster has the C73 "Space Duster Pak". Here are a few pix. BTW, how do you know about the France Ave. Drive In, also known as "Mann's France Avenue Drive In" back in the day?

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Grew up in Mtka and a friend had a 73 Dart Sport Convertriple that we used to sneak 2 people in to France Ave on weekends . They were on the lookout for trunks opening and never imagined the trunk access panel …lol
I bought his Dart for $100 to use as a winter beater and store my 70 Charger SE 383 magnum.
Dave bought a 75 Dart Sport which he ended up rolling at 70 mph on the way to the Apple River. I watched it happen in my rear view mirror ! 6 people in his car and 1 cracked rib !

Hi all,
Here are some aditional pics.

The fender tag. As told by Troy (CFD244), the fender tag has been clearly screwed on, bent up and painted.
20221020_103336.jpg

The little tag. Black spots are not dirt, but seem to be paint.
20221020_103155.jpg

Here again, the underside is painted. Except for the corner.
The paint color is correct : GB2 light blue.
20221020_103209.jpg

François

The screws are out in this picture. Both the same size screws though.
The square inspection tag is on the right side. The square inspection tag is usually on the right side and the long strip inspection cut off tags are usually on the left side of the fender tag.
This is my car.

100_8481.jpg

A few square tags for reference.
Notice the cut off inspection tag is under the fender tag on the yellow one. It was bent up and painted and the cut tag was pushed under the fender tag before it was screwed down.

zebay.jpg

z2p1.jpg

no option tag.jpg

023.jpg

-
Back