Body panel replacement tips/advice needed

-
Thanks for the tips guys.

I actually forgot to mention that I was toying with the idea of panel bonding the flange and using spot welds as added strength.

eliminating the need for a full welded seem which would save on time and minimize the risk of any warping in the metal.

I know people who use the stuff and love it and I did some research on the stuff and seen crash test ratings where panel bond kept the panel in place after impact where even factory welds ripped and cracked.

and being that alot of new cars are for the most part completely assembled with the stuff, I would think that some patch panels would hold up very well....not to mention the added strength from the spot welds I will be doing also.

as for the lead......yeah it works good but can sometimes be a pain to work with.

I have had good luck using duraglass and with no shrinking issues (maybe its the brand I use or maybe its the difference in our climates?) anyhow....I think I will be fine with the duraglass. But thanks for the tip.

also I am not sure what "filler panels" you were mentioning? if you mean the trunk extensions? Mine are there but need some minor patch work.

but I do have a section of metal that is below my tail panel that is exposed behind the rear bumper and it is dented up and has one rust hole so I will probably fabricate a hole new piece for there.

I enjoy working with metal and normally when it comes to body work I take my time and don't rush on it ....and I do ALOT of measuring before I do my cutting because I like to avoid those types of hiccups lol.

the way I plan on cutting my panel will be above the mid section body line (an inch or two below the gas filler) and I will be using almost the full width of the patch and cutting almost into the center of the wheel well because I have some dented areas there where someone did some shotty body filler work and I just want to eliminate all the previous shabby work......I am not sure if I will have any troubles flanging on the arch of the wheel well or not but it would seem as though I would have just as much trouble flanging the arch on the patch panel....so I don't see what difference it would make which panel I end up flanging.

but ....there again, right now I am in the thinking stage lol..... so I won't see the best route of action until my parts arrive and I get some hands on time with it.....or until I get really good detailed pictures from someone who did the job like I am planning on doing so I can see what exactly the stages they took were and then I might have a clearer perspective on what route I will be taking.

if anyone else has pictures or info or experience to share then please do so. and thanks to those of you who have already chimed in ,its appreciated.

thanks again for the help guys!

Anyone else have any detailed pics and info they could share?

after all , knowledge is power lol

bump ....anyone else done this and have any pointers/pictures?

P.S. ,one of my quarter patches showed up the other day, still waiting on the other and still waiting on the tail panel and my flange tool.

they put my damn flange tool on back order or something, going to take 2 weeks to get here when its all said and done, if I would have known that...I would have drove the 50 miles or whatever and just picked the thing up lol

bump ....anyone else done this and have any pointers/pictures?

P.S. ,one of my quarter patches showed up the other day, still waiting on the other and still waiting on the tail panel and my flange tool.

they put my damn flange tool on back order or something, going to take 2 weeks to get here when its all said and done, if I would have known that...I would have drove the 50 miles or whatever and just picked the thing up lol
Actually Dude,...I'm watching every post as I have to go thru all of this myself on the Spacer,...

Actually Dude,...I'm watching every post as I have to go thru all of this myself on the Spacer,...

atleast I am not the only one lol.

although I really appreciate those who have chimed in so far.......with as many members as we have here on fabo I am sure that there is a pretty good amount of members who have done these repairs before and have something to add to this thread rather it be info or pictures.

like I said....I know how to weld and do body work and all that but I am still no expert and I like learning as much as I can and seeing all the ways other people have gone about doing the same or similar repairs .....you can never learn to much.

flange tool showed up today, the rest of my metal should be here tomorrow.

anyhow have any pics or tips that they could add?

I am surprised there haven't been more people chiming in.

-
Back