Body Plugs

-
You could weld some of them up but why?

You can get those plugs at most hardware stores for next to nothing. Popping in a plug is a hell of a lot less work than welding up holes.

You could weld some of them up but why?

You can get those plugs at most hardware stores for next to nothing. Popping in a plug is a hell of a lot less work than welding up holes.

Also there are kits available almost anywhere (ie Mega Parts, and R/T Specialties). :)

There are two reasons Im asking. One is because there is rust damage at the back of the rear seat area, not the floor pan. there is another section under the floor that ties to the rear frame rails that has body plugs. I havent seen anyone making a replacement so I have to make one which would delete the plug holes. The other reason is mice chewing a hole in one of the plastic plugs and turning the car into a habitrail.

Back in 1976 I purchased a '76 B200 van. They came from the factory with plastic plugs in the cavity holes. On the advice of an older friend I removed the plugs with in a few weeks of buying the van. I was living in Clifton, NJ back then, so one of the things we dealt with was salted roads during the winter.

Each time I washed the van I also ran water through the cavity holes to clean them out (regularly). In 1986 (10 years later) when I sold the van, it had absolutely no rust or rot on the vehicle, anywhere. Such was not the case for most vans in my neighborhood or my area at the time. Most, of the vans showed traces of rust or rot in the lower kick panels, around the rear wheel wells, and below the driver's and passenger's doors, after only a few years.

I can only attribute that to the friendly advise of a knowledgeable neighbor and the constant cleaning out of the cavities regularly.

-
Back