Body Work 101 - A Pictorial

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
Hey all ! I had to do some rust repair on the door(s), I'm planning on using. I figured a pictorial of "How to do it" could be helpful to some, So , I took pics while doing it. Hope the pics explain it well enough. Any Questions ask.!

Door01.JPG

Door02.JPG

Door03.JPG

Door04.JPG

Door05.JPG

Door06.JPG

Door07.JPG

Door08.JPG

I'll finish the post , gimme time.. :) Maybe even use lead... To Show You all how it's done..

What did you use to cut it out? What about forming the new patch? Did you coat the back side with weld thru primer or anything like that?
Thanks for the pics!

Great pictorial, how did you get the subtle curve on the patch panel? Just by tacking and clamping? Is that a Harbor Freight angle grinder? LOL! I bought one too and haven't been able to blow it up yet!

It's amazing the rust you can find hiding behind these panels. Thanks for posting this.

Hey Eric, from a dude (me) that is about to start some body work and really has NO exp. in doing any body work (Women exempt!) this is an excelent thing your doing.
Thanks. I'll be looking at this and about a hundred saved mag articles.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the great replies!!! I finshed my 1/4's already, So I'll have to show you what I can on the 2 doors. I'll keep posting my repairs to this thread as I go.

1966 Dart Wagon - I scraped n wire brushed it as best as I could get it, Then treated the area with "Spray can" - Rust Converter so it wont rust again.

Aaron - I used a 4 1/2" "cut off wheel" for the cut. And it's all butt welded. Believe it or not I'll use rustoleum on the inside of the patch. When I'm done, should keep the rusting down.

Ramcharger - Made the subtle bend, by laying the panel over a 4" pipe n pushed by hand. N yeah It's a Harbour Freight Grinder.... $20 WELL Spent!

Stupidasso - You'll note the Snap-on Tool box in the background... I assure you it's not filled with all Harbour Frieght stuff !!!

Rumblefish360- You may get special treatment.. I'll be in Long Island for a visit shortly (Date not set yet).

Found a little extra time so I figured.... Post more pics...! I didnt have time to finish this repair, but I'll Keep em coming as I go. Seems I missed a few pics I wanted to take. You'll get the idea.

Dsc00003.jpg

Dsc00004.jpg

Dsc00010.jpg

Dsc00011.jpg

-
Back