Bought my Feather Duster... from a biker gang

-

FeatherDuster

I'm getting 25 mpg!
Reaction score
Howdy, guys! I'm the proud owner of a 1976 Plymouth Feather Duster, which I purchased on Saturday from a biker gang in a small local community. Not quite sure that they knew what the heck it was... lol! The wiring is all messed up, because apparently the electronics within the ignition switch went bad at some point in this car's past, and they tried to redneck something.

The biker I bought it from told me that it had been sitting for two years, but that it ran when he bought it and that he "could get it running again in ten minutes."

I knew it was a bad sign when he showed up with it on a rollback, dumped it in the parking lot that he rents, took my cash, and asked me where my trailer was. I told him that I was planning on working on it for about a half hour, and if I couldn't get it running, I would go grab my trailer.

vbpgimage.php

He shook my hand, tried to sell me a set of tires, and then announced that he had somewhere to be. He took off in a hurry...

Me and my buddies got it running that night. Rather than messing around with all the wiring under the dash, I just hotwired it. Fused jumper from battery positive to the coil. Heck yeah. If it hadn't been for the fuel hose leaking, we literally could've gotten it running in ten minutes. We had to run to my race team's shop for fuel hose, because the local hardware store was closed, so that took some time.

vbpgimage.php

Threw the new fuel hose on, and it fired right up. I let it warm up for a few minutes, then put it in drive. It chug-chug-chugged away. I hit the gas a tiny bit, and it died. Crap.

I moved it back to where it was, then left for the night. I showed up the next day with a buddy, as well as different rims and tires that actually hold air. Then we discovered we needed different lug nuts... you ever tried buying twenty 1/2-20 acorn lug nuts on a Sunday afternoon? We hit three different hardware stores in two different towns, and there's still only seven legit lug nuts on the car. We've got a few regular nuts and a couple all-metal self-locking nuts put on backwards so the taper points inwards. Redneck, but temporary.

vbpgimage.php

Fired it up, let it warm up while we put the last tire on, and then dropped it. Discovered that it's straight-piped and sounds just like a tractor when the engine is running slowly and under load. It's nifty!

I hopped in and did a lap around the parking lot while my buddy looked on. One of the bikers sauntered over, surprised, and asked my buddy "how'd you get that thing running?"

My buddy, who is a man of few words, said simply "it was easy."

The biker said "Tom worked on that for hours and couldn't get it to run!"

Poor Tom. He just got pwnd by a teenager. Probably lost some major street cred. And he thought he was ripping me off... ha!

So anyway, after the lot drive, we hit the gas station down the block and filled up the tires to 36 psi. Used their washin' station to clean the bird **** off the window. We were planning on taking it to the team's shop and powerwashing it, but we decided that the "but officer! We just bought it!" excuse would work better if the car was dirty.

We were hungry. We took it through the McDonald's drive through. Then we drove it to the town's historical downtown district, parked it on the cobblestones, and sat on the hood and ate. We discovered the car was quite a head turner... not sure if it's the badassness of the car, the push bar, or the bird ****.

Drove it back to my place, picked up another buddy, and then cruised around my town for three hours. Continued to run and drive like a champ. There's a little bit of steering wheel shimmy, but that could be because my tires aren't balanced.

vbpgimage.php

So, basically, I love this car. It was worth every bit of the $1200 I paid for it.

vbpgimage.php

I wouldn't say solid... needs new metal under the driver's feet, and in the floor of the trunk. Not to mention the obvious body rust in the pictures. I think I got a pretty good deal, though.

Welcome and what a great adventure. Lots of good people here and information.

just keep chopping at it, you'll get where you wanna be. May I suggest that you loose the Moose bar up front! :joker:

You got a great deal!! And yeah, your car does look badass with the pushbar on it, if you got new tires for the vector rims, it'd def keep up that mad max badass look. Welcome to FABO from one young gun to another 8)

you have got to keep the old vector wheels those are so sick imo!!! looks "dukes of hazzard" great find man no sense in a biker having a toy with 4 wheels hahaha

Good to see another Mopar saved!
But just to be sure, does the hood have little rectangular crimps running down the side seams (can't tell from the pics) and did you double-check the undersides of the hood and trunk with a magnet? Some Feather Dusters and Dart Lites apparently came through with all steel trunk lids.

Come to think of it, and I hate to say it, but I think the fenders had Feather Duster decals in place of the regular emblems. I hope I'm wrong.

Wow great story. I like it when a plan comes together.
The Duster looks pretty solid for a mid west car good luck and have fun.

Welcome! Enjoy that car. The cow catcher isn't something you see on a Feather Duster every day......
Keep us informed with your adventures.

Nice find! love the ZJ :) got one myself.
I'm kinda partial to the cow catcher up front I vote to leave it lol, than again my grandma always said "whats born in the bones, cant be beat out of the flesh" so that makes me a bred redneck, and i'm not ashamed of it lol.

Fun story !! but always remember they are a CLUB not a gang .....

This guy was a convicted felon and owed more than $55k to the IRS. And he was the "normal" one of the group. Biker gang? I think so.

Welcome to the wonderful world of A bodies. Just were in this god forsaken
state of Wisconsin you from? I'm in northern Wi. Rhinelander.

I'm south of mad-town about 20 miles. In the "warm" part of the state.

This guy was a convicted felon and owed more than $55k to the IRS. And he was the "normal" one of the group. Biker gang? I think so.

Just a freindly warning then ,don't call them that in front of them because they can get a little sensitive about that term ....

Just a freindly warning then ,don't call them that in front of them because they can get a little sensitive about that term ....
I actually tried to call them nothing but "sir." And I also did my damnedest to outnumber them whenever I went down there.

-
Back