Boys she's heating up!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Well I posted earlier in the year about this problem and now that I am out of school and working I am ready to start tearing it apart. I took it out today and drove three miles and it got up above 200 so I shut it down. I flushed the radiator so there is no air pocket. The first time it over heated the radiator cap was not hot at all and neither was the hose so I was thinking thermostat. The next time it got hot the radiator and hose were hot like normal. I am tearing into it this weekend and want to hear all possibilities.

The motor is a 360 with an rpm intake edlebrock 650
Mp. .484 cam headers mp performance distributor. There is oil leaking down onto the header but not to bad. And the over heating started after my intake swap. I used very little rtv so I don't think I blocked a water passage but I'm not taking that off the list of possibilities. So let me hear all the weird and random things it could be.

Thermostat would be my first concern then water pump and flush the block would be my next jobs.
I take it you chked to be sure the bottom hose is not collapsing right?

Are you sure you don't have an air pocket and the system isn't full ?

He said he tried to make sure it didn't, but drilling a small hole in the thermostat before it goes in will make sure that can't happen.
I change thermostats every winter/summer and the hole in the thermostat makes things WAY nicer.

That cam is going to want 20 initial for timing and 34 or so total. Do you have a 3'core radiator

He said he tried to make sure it didn't, but drilling a small hole in the thermostat before it goes in will make sure that can't happen.
I change thermostats every winter/summer and the hole in the thermostat makes things WAY nicer.

Yup I was taught that some 40 years ago by an old mechanic and have done it ever since. Drill 1/8" hole in the disc part of the thermostat.

if it's heating up going down the road,the rad is not doing it's cooling thing...if in traffic , stop and go, not getting enough air through the rad to cool..Is the thermostat opening on initial start and warmup ? watching the gauge will answer that.

Timing will cause over-heating

I'm pulling the thermostat tomorrow and drilling the hole. I was told that if it was the timing that it would turn over slow when it was hot on start up. That didnt happen. If it isn't the thermostat then I am going to check out the water pump but usually when those go bad you would hear it correct. And the bottom line isn't collapsed or pernched. Ill update this tomorrow night after the thermostat work. And replacing the brakes on my work truck.

I'm pulling the thermostat tomorrow and drilling the hole. I was told that if it was the timing that it would turn over slow when it was hot on start up. That didnt happen. If it isn't the thermostat then I am going to check out the water pump but usually when those go bad you would hear it correct. And the bottom line isn't collapsed or pernched. Ill update this tomorrow night after the thermostat work. And replacing the brakes on my work truck.

Water pump won't always make noise. Leave the thermostat out and take the rad cap off to check for coolant flow

An Air leak from a head gasket keeping air in cooling system????

I was told that if it was the timing that it would turn over slow when it was hot on start up. That didnt happen.

Slow (or way over advanced) timing can cause over heating. Fast/over advanced timing will cause it to kick back on the starter. Have you checked your timing to verify it? Should be like EL5Demon said. I bought a car with a 360 yrs. ago built about like yours that was running pretty warm and it was just cause the timing was way slow. I set up the distributor right and it ran much better and a lot cooler.

Not sure how old your rad is,but a simple flush might not be enough.Pull the rad cAp and look for calcium buildup in your rad.My 410c.i ran cool with a stock 2 core rad and clutch fan.Ran 10,s with a simple FRESH 2 core rad and eddy alumi wAterpump.Don,t spend on new, fix what you have.JMO.:toothy7:

When we were putting the intake back together I guess my friend put the thermostat in upside down. Flipped it over and now it's running great.:banghead:

That was a cheap fix.
Glad you go it sorted out.

-
Back