Brads 72 Dart Swinger Done My Way

-

hunterbfp

Reaction score
Well after owning Camaros, Chevelles, and Nova's in the late 70's and selling them not knowing what I had. I have now passed the children stage of my life and decided to jump into a nice 2-year project. But to make it exciting I went with a Mopar! New to me but so far so good. I looked for a good starter project, something someone else started and then either got tired of or ran out of money on. I found exactly the first with this car. The previous owner had her 8 years...drove her home. Pulled the 318 and was going to drop a 440 in her. He soon found out this was going to be work and quickly stopped. The car sat in his garage for 6 years until he advertised her. He managed to do a good job moving the springs in and cutting out for the tubs. He also mocked up a big block and 727 trans with the correct mounts for each. I traded a couple of guns and $300.00 and she was mine forever. The rear end was gone and he had a Dana 60 housing. I have since sold the Dana housing and found a 8 1/4" Posi with 3.91 gears. This will be fine as this will be a nice BB Crusier...not a weekend drag car. So it begins, 3 months so far of body work and gathering parts. I will post pics and list of parts and my way of doing things just like the old days of the 1970's "Old School My Way".

Well welcome to FABO. You will find a wealth of information here. Don't forget to stop in the chat room either usually gets busy about 8pm cst. Good luck with the build. Sounds like you have a good base there.

Thanks for the welcome, I have been traveling a lot lately and only getting Saturdays to work on the car...month 4 of bodywork and have only the driver front fender and the lower part of the passenger door to do! It will be great to move on to something new soon. Thanks again and sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I will take you up on the chat room after 8:00pm. I need all the electrical engine compartment wiring help I can get!!!! LOL

hunterbfp
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]Will have pics up on July 5th. Thanks for your interest.
hunterbfp
/ums/ae91/hunterbfp/?action=view&current=Brads72DartProject033.jpg[/IMG]

Body work done, paint started...went with Orange Sunburst Pearl and glad I did, LOVE IT!! Door jambs, under deck lid, engine compartment all painted. Will paint body by end of Feb 2012. Finished mini tubbing trunk and it is completed. Was a welder for 10 years so that was pretty easy and happy with results. I also smoothed the fire wall and removed the wiper motor, heater, and hose opening the right way. This is an Arizona car that will be a Fri Sat in good weather cruiser. Have engine at machine shop, have the great RV block from 78 with the heavy crank supports, figure 8 water jacket openings and exterior block supports and heavy mounting tabs, with 452 heads with hardened seats, having the valves back cut for 18% better flow, went with Keith Black 9.5 to 1 flat top pistons, Mopar Purple 282 484 cam and hyd lifters, Edelbrock Performer RMP intake,Holley 3310 750 carb, Schumacher ceramic headers and motor and trans mounts, 727 with manual valve body...built! and 3:91 rear end. Should be a torque monster and fun fun fun. Have parts in garage, bedroon closet, under bed everywhere...just waiting for the paint so I can start putting back together. Have Amer Racing chrome Nova 18" x 9" rears WITH 295-45 and same but 17" x 8" fronts. B&M Mega shifter, high back front bench with the fold down armrest, flat blk go wing, flt black bumble bee stripe and flat black hemi hood scoop, flat black front spoiler, will be doing a 2" drop on rear of car. Just want to get it finished in 2012! should be very possible.

Here is the latest progress, finished interior, have all parts to complete. Removed wiring for wipers, heater, AC as all have been removed. This is a Friday Saturday night cruiser in AZ winters. I'm extremely happy with how it is finishing up. Completed all wiring yesterday and cranked engine. Will do initial startup in about 3 weeks.

Happy with this years progress. Will start in 3 weeks, just finished all interior and wiring. Awesome can't wait to hear it come to life.

-
Back