Brake conversion confusion

-

Takoctopus

Reaction score
I am doing the dual brake conversion on a 66 Barracuda. I have a new dual master cylinder for a 67 Barracuda but there isn't a shaft that attaches to the pedal. The single master cylinder I have has the shaft but it attached to the plunger. So am I supposed order a shaft for the dual master or cut the shaft on the single master cylinder or something like that? I couldnt find any information about what shaft to use doing this.
Thanks

Believe you can reuse the one on the single master, may have to put it in a
vise to pull the rod out. It is retained by a rubber O ring type or clip retainer.
Adjustable length rods are sold as well try Mancini Rancing.

I know my $19.95 AutoZone replacement one that I just bought for my 73 duster came with a little o-ring in a bag for just that purpose. The core charge was 20 bucks LOL

I did the exact same conversion on my Val using the 64 manual pushrod.

I jerked the rod out of the master cylinder and just need that rubber ring. Thanks for the advice it really made things easy.

Last edited:
Check Dr Diff for the rubber retaining bushing. He also sells a kit w/ a newer aluminum MC, which many people here use. You can similarly roll-your-own. The old cast-iron MC's tend to have leaky caps.

trick to removing the rod is to loosen the M/C but dont remove it, wedge something between it and the firewall and then pull the brake pedal back sharply. Itll pull the rod right out.

-
Back