brake drum paint

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I have this idea to paint my brake drums the same red as my 273 motor.
These are on a 65 Barracuda with small bolt cragar ss wheels.
Any body want to voice an opinion on my paint color or just the idea of painting them. The car is Metallic brown with black interior and silver stripes across the top. The drums are a rusty color now and can be seen through the wheels. I thought red would be a nice detail with white letter tires and the chrome rims.
Dan

Attachments

• 08242010.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 518
If you do it & don't like it, it's easy to change.
That's for sure! I haven't seen paint hold up on brake drums longer than a few months of use. High temp paint works the best but they still don't last as long as you like. Hey Leanna.....how well does powdercoating work on high heat applications???

I think Leanna has brake drums listed on her price list. You'd probably want to be pretty sure of your color choice before you decided to do it, considering the cost to ship heavy items. Maybe brake drums will fit in a flat rate box?

Not sure if it's correct for early cars, but didn't Mopar paint drums red on cars with Rallye wheels? Probably just used engine paint.

I was also thinking of other color combos, but I was going red because it would match the engine. I know the paint wont last forever..what color are drums from the factory? Bare metal? Wouldn't they just turn rust color right away?
Well if your at the nats this year look for the 65 with the red drums...That'll be me!

Years ago I coated the entire rear, drums and all with a product called Neutra-Rust (did the front suspension/brakes also) . I was surprised at how well it held up to the heat.
The color ( red ) behind the rallyes was done with painted dust shields since I had disc brakes on the front of that car.
It was white with red stripes, interior, etc...
I dont think red will look so good on your car
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
You the one be holdin' 'er LOL
Happy moparing

So I finally got the new motor in and the drums painted. Crappy pic, but just had to take one with my phone this morning. Tomorrow I will bring the car to work for some better pics.

Attachments

• 2011-07-25 06.22.35.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 2011-07-25 06.22.18.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 385
Nice looking engine, but isn't the pcv valve supposed to be on the passenger side of the car ?

Has anyone tried barbecue paint on headers or brakes ?

Nice looking engine, but isn't the pcv valve supposed to be on the passenger side of the car ?

Has anyone tried barbecue paint on headers or brakes ?

I guess I could have the pcv on the wrong side. It has been on that side since I bought the car years ago. Never really gave it a second thought. Does it really matter what side it is on? I tried some hi heat paint on the manifolds, but it just burned off to a light orangish/pinkish color as soon as the engine fired up and got to temp.

It doesn't matter which side it is on, I think it will work fine on either side as long as both sides have baffles on the inside and I think they do.

I have just never seen it on that side.

I painted the rear drums on my 91 Ramcharger red, with disc brake paint 5 yrs ago, and it is holding up real good, even the front calipers are still red. Yours should hold up to, if you used the right paint, and good prep work.

Yours looks good. Thats my next car a 64-66 B-cuda. But the wife says finnish the 66 Dart first tho.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

-
Back