Brake drums

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
Hey guys,I have a question on drums.i am replacing all brakes and drums on my 71 scamp with 9" brakes.i ordered some rear drums from auto zone and they look nothing like stock-not even close and I was wondering if anybody else have used these.Why the big difference?Also could anyone tell me why front 9 inch drums are $110 and the rear 9 inch drums are $30,I know there is a difference in the fronts and the rears,the fronts have a wider lining and are ribbed on the outer edge but other than that I can't figure it out.Are the aftermarket worth it?Or should I try to find some originals that are in decent shape,Thanks

Could you post a picture of yours? Tge fronts seem to be thicker than the rears, probably why they are more, almost another inch of metal on the fronts vs the rears. The fronts are finned to aid in the dissipation of heat

Whats the main diff you notice? Do yours have a bell on the back of the drum? Or do the just not look right?

No bell on the ones I bought,they seem to match up on lining size,bolt pattern but are about 7/8 inch less in width than the originals,in your opinion would these work as well as stock-this being the only 4 wheel drum car I've owned,not real keen on aftermarket performance on these systems

Yep the bell is non existent except for originals, cost to replicate the bell isn't practical for how little drums that style they will sell, if linings match up and no excessive gap between back of drums and backing plates, if they fit the hubs nicely and seem right id say run them, original drums are out there but usually they are expensive and no telling if there is enough thickness left to resurface. You should have no issues. Is there any type of warranty on them?

Yep that's the fronts

Hmm they look different from the fronts i looked up on Oriellys but the height is stated on both at 3.91" whats the height on your fronts from autozone?

I just looked them up, the ones from autozone look exactly like the raybestos ones in the link and the autozone drum is actually 4.04" in height compared to the Oriellys and raybestos drum at 3.91"

Ok,Thanks for the imfo....There is a 2 year warranty on the back drums that I bought

Hmm they look different from the fronts i looked up on Oriellys but the height is stated on both at 3.91" whats the height on your fronts from autozone?

I just looked them up, the ones from autozone look exactly like the raybestos ones in the link and the autozone drum is actually 4.04" in height compared to the Oriellys and raybestos drum at 3.91"
Not got the fronts yet,they haven't come in but I did get the rears and they measure 2 3/4

Hmmm says in item description that the autozone rears are 2.58
I will measure again and try them on car,it doesn't make sense on the measurements but I will know more when I can actually put one on,but I appreciate all of your help,if they are correct I'll keep them,and if not I'll return them,I did see some at year one,but they are VERY proud of their drums

Ive seen a lot of OEM 9 inchers, but never a ribbed or belled one.
The fronts usually include the swedged on hubs with studs, and outer bearing races.
My fronts are ribbed,the rears are belled,if I could post a pic it would help but for some reason I can't from iPad

My FSM lists, for 9 inchers;
drums; fronts are 9 x 2.5625, rears are 9x 2.0625
front shoes;primarys are 2.25 x 7.625, and secondarys are 2.5 x 9.625
rear shoes; primarys are 2.0 x 7.625, and secondarys are 2.0 x 9.625

These 9 inchers were on front of my all original low mileage '69 Barracuda. I removed them to replace with discs. They're still sitting on the shelf along with the original spindles if you need more pics..................

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC05970.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 142
These 9 inchers were on front of my all original low mileage '69 Barracuda. I removed them to replace with discs. They're still sitting on the shelf along with the original spindles if you need more pics..................

Treblig
Those are similar to mine,but I don't have the studs and bearing housing on the drums,other than that they are very close,I had all four drums turned,but the linings look a little thin to me,I checked around and found out the discards specs is 230.886 mm but I haven't found a way to convert that measurement over to micrometer specs,but I'm still checking on it

My FSM lists, for 9 inchers;
drums; fronts are 9 x 2.5625, rears are 9x 2.0625
front shoes;primarys are 2.25 x 7.625, and secondarys are 2.5 x 9.625
rear shoes; primarys are 2.0 x 7.625, and secondarys are 2.0 x 9.625
Thanks-Good imfo to have,I was wondering what the exact brake specs were for the 9's

Those are similar to mine,but I don't have the studs and bearing housing on the drums,other than that they are very close,I had all four drums turned,but the linings look a little thin to me,I checked around and found out the discards specs is 230.886 mm but I haven't found a way to convert that measurement over to micrometer specs,but I'm still checking on it

Mine have the specs cast into the drum. Do you need the drum specs?? Mine are also for sale and I can check the wear on the drum as well. They were functioning well when I removed them and had all new bearings, seals, slave cylinders, steering arms, brake lines, etc.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC05969.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC05971.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC05972.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 134
Yea,I think my setup is a little different but I will check to see if they interchange,my drums don't have the studs and bearing housing as a unit

-
Back