Brake drums

-

moparmucelli

Reaction score
hi guys I have a 70 duster with 11 inch front drum brakes Can I swap out drums from a later year with the bbp?

Sort of. All of the A-body front drum brake cars used SBP. So, there is no later year, A-body, front drum brakes to swap on.

You could use B/E body drums, but, you'd need B/E body drum spindles and the whole brake set up. And you'd need large ball joint UCA's (73+) or tapered ball joint adaptors just like a disk swap would need.

So there's no swap that I know of that would just be the drums, you'd have to swap the whole brake set up. And if you're doing that, you might as well swap to the 73+ BBP disks, because it would cost about the same.

Hmm,'70 dusters came with either 9" or 10" front drums from the factory sure you measured them correctly??

Did any dusters or darts from 73 and up have front drums?

Yes, but they had the 5x4" pattern. The spindles were different, they used larger wheel bearings than the 67-72 drums, and they used the larger ball joint UCA's just like the 73+ disks. But the drums were still SBP. 73+ disk cars were BBP, 4 wheel drum cars were SBP.

One question is how your car wound up with 11" drums. Perhaps that was a police model option or a conversion from B/E body parts. My 1965 C-body has 11"x3" front drums. But they use larger bearings that wouldn't fit your spindle. If your interest is changing the BBP fronts, then many disk kits allow that (Wilwood, 1973+ factory design, ...).

One question is how your car wound up with 11" drums. Perhaps that was a police model option or a conversion from B/E body parts. My 1965 C-body has 11"x3" front drums. But they use larger bearings that wouldn't fit your spindle. If your interest is changing the BBP fronts, then many disk kits allow that (Wilwood, 1973+ factory design, ...).
I know right it’s weird any the funny thing is it was a 6 cylinder car!!! And is a factory bucket center console car!

-
Back