Brake lathe a good idea?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I've been toying, anyone think if I got a brake lathe, I could at least make enough to pay for the machine? Say, advertise drum/ disc turning on Craigslist or other local websites?

I don't intend to do ANY brake work, cleanup, or any other work, IE you are doing a brake job, you want your drums/ rotors turned, bring 'em over. I could beat the hell out of the "parts stores" price. In my previous life I've turned thousands of em so I know what it takes. I've turned everything from the smallest Fiat you ever say to Log/ over the road truck/ trailer drums.

There's a couple locally. One is a Bean with a parts unit, asking 800, another might need some tooling, an Snap on for 650 Still another is an Ammco for around a grand or so, and another for 1650.

I've got an ammco "drum only" machine that needs some work, and needs a gearbox added to convert to rotor, OR could actually turn rotors fed "by hand" for a little while

Over the years I have often toyed with the idea of buying a used rotor/drum lathe for my own use. I didn't consider taking in work to offset the cost because I would probably end up doing entire brake jobs out of my house again.

I would recommend that you do a marketing survey to find out if there is enough business where you live that would support your idea.

We have an Ammco lathe........ but our's only turn's rotor's. You might make out pretty fair, if you live out in the country, away from local part's store's. We bought our's like 17-18 year's ago from the Matco tool guy,
but it was in great condition, but used. We have turned quite a few rotor's
for ourselve's and some customer's that know we have the machine....... most time's it sit's idle, only cause alot of people are alway's on the brake's
fairly often, and hard, so turning them usually cause's there brake pedal to pulsate, when there braking so hard, and for us to save from hearing all the b*t*hing, we just tell them they'll need new rotor's, and save's us alot of headache's. Good luck with your idea. Dodge33

You'll need the calipers etc To dimensionally check both drums and rotors. The minimum thickness and diameter is usually on the drums or rotors. There used to be spec books. If doing the turning without measuring you might open yourself up to liability.

For most of my modern cars, it is cheaper to buy new rotors, sometimes $10 ea. However, you could have a good business for cars with rare or expensive rotors or drums, like European cars or even my Dart 10" rear drums. Would probably be local customers since shipping round-trip is expensive.

For most of my modern cars, it is cheaper to buy new rotors, sometimes $10 ea. However, you could have a good business for cars with rare or expensive rotors or drums, like European cars or even my Dart 10" rear drums. Would probably be local customers since shipping round-trip is expensive.

x2 Rotors and Drums are pretty cheap anymore. My local store charges $12 to turn a drum or rotor and most of the new ones only cost $20ish. Also, it seems that the metal used in a lot of newer rotors is really soft and wear out quickly.

You'll need the calipers etc To dimensionally check both drums and rotors. The minimum thickness and diameter is usually on the drums or rotors. There used to be spec books. If doing the turning without measuring you might open yourself up to liability.

I'm familiar. As I said, I've turned thousands of drums and rotors. I sold auto/ truck parts for 17 years.

Old Van Norman drum lathe, Kwik-Way rotor lathe, and later, an Ammco. That machine had all three arbors, the small tapered one, the "normal" one, and the heavy one for trucks. It was pretty well outfitted.

-
Back