Brake light switch operation help?

-

tekslk

Reaction score
My friend lost brake lights last night, it seams the fuse are good. Is there a way to check brake switch with a test light, this is on a 73 ply duster.

With a test lamp, there are only 2 wires going to the brake lamp switch. One hot at all times ( I forget that color ) and a white that is hot when pedal pressed/switch closed.
It might be easier to probe that white wire at the turn signal switch connector since the brake lamp switch is difficult to get at. Only white wire in the signal switch connector. If the brake lamp switch is good and the signal switch is centered a test lamp would show power going in on the white wire and coming back down on a green and a yellow that go to the rear lamps. When moving the turn signal switch the brake light circuit is interrupted to one of green or yellow to change it to turn signal circuit.
I'm typing all this because the turn signal switches do fail in such a way as to completely interrupt the brake lamps.
We can only hope the brake lamp switch is the fault. It's less expensive and easier to replace.
Hope this helps

Got ya thats what I wanted I will get on it this afternoon, He has a extra brake switch but not the turn signal switch, however turn signals dah lights everything works but brake lights. Fuses are good.

Got ya thats what I wanted I will get on it this afternoon, He has a extra brake switch but not the turn signal switch, however turn signals dah lights everything works but brake lights. Fuses are good.

That was my point. Signal switches fail in various manners. The signals may work just fine yet brake lamps do not.
Years ago a house builder cousin came by early in the morn with help crew onboard and a brand new ticket for no brake lamps on his work van. After a few minutes of diagnosing and trying to explain how all this works to a carpenter, I shoved a shirt pin through all 3 wires and said, " Go on with it. Buy a signal switch and come back".

The switches can get out of adjustment and not activate the lights also.

-
Back