Brake light switch swap

-

MoparGuy1970

Reaction score
I'm changing out a brake light switch on my 73' Duster and wanted to know how to get the switch off the bracket so I can install the new one. The retaining ring doesn't want to move to let the switch slide out, I've never changed a switch like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20151227_143640606.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 130
  • 1451326712631-1303000291.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 128
Wow i am doing the same exact thing to my 73 duster!

I just went to town on it with some plyers and have a new one coming on the mail.

When ypu buy a new one it comes with a new retaining ring, Do all you half to do is slide the Swotch into the bracket and yoir done.

I prefer the adjustable kind with nuts and a threaded switch. I don't remember, it was easily obtainable at O'Reallys / NAPA

Recently replaced that style switch on my '65 Barracuda with one of the adjustable with nuts style from O'Reilly's. Had to drill the hole out a couple of sizes larger. Works great.

Some mfgrs did thread the switch so it adjusts in the bracket. Chrysler and maybe others ( I aint seen them all ) fixed the switch position in the bracket and slotted the bracket mount for adjustments. In the right situation I probably would poke whatever is available in there to ensure I have working brake lamps.

-
Back