Brake lights not working.

-

MIKERP76

Reaction score
i have a 67 valiant and while doing my usual lighting checks i noticed that the brake lights aren't working. i have rear turn signals and parking lights. when i turn in the hazards only the front lights are working. i can't find my repair manual again or i would be looking at it. where should start looking to figure out the problem? thnk you in adance for any help yall can give me.

i have a 67 valiant and while doing my usual lighting checks i noticed that the brake lights aren't working. i have rear turn signals and parking lights. when i turn in the hazards only the front lights are working. i can't find my repair manual again or i would be looking at it. where should start looking to figure out the problem? thnk you in adance for any help yall can give me.
I would check the brake lite switch first.

i'll double check al of my wiring as well. hopefully it is an easy fix.

just found another issue. when i turn the hazards on the high beam indicator light and the shifter colum light starts flashing as well. and when i turn on the headlights the turnsignal lights in the istrument panel comes on when i hit the dimmer switch.

It could be the turn signal switch for the first problem. It sounds like you have Gremlins. Are there any blown fuses? Did you check that the bulbs are good? Are you getting power back there? Do you have working running lights in the rear and just no brake lights?

Any time, in any vehicle that has 1157 bulbs, If turn indicators in dash come on with park lamps, the fault will be lack of ground at front park lamp fixtures. All forward lighting is grounded with a wire or 2 attached to radiator/core support with sheet metal screw. Fixing this common fault wont cure all those other faults you've described but it's a start. When fixtures aren't grounded the current will seek and use whatever ground path is available. So checking chassis grounds at all exterior lighting is a smart move.
Good luck with it

i have running lights and turnsignals at the same time on the rear just no brake or hazard lights. i'm sure the dash lights are a grounding problem. but the others are driving me nuts everything was working a few months ago and now this.

If that's the case it sounds like you have a short or a ground issue. Is your dash grounded to the column? Is there are ground wire outside near your blower motor going to the trans?

I'll have to check that out later this week when i have time working an early shift today.

And FYI,I'm cleaning house on my 67 Valiant parts I've been hoarding

by any chance do you have a good windshield? i broke my new one installing it.

whatever the problem was it fixed itself.
Wrong. It may have went into hiding, as in intermittent short circuit(s).
A collision caused by your lack of brake lighting could be very expensive.

i'm still investigating the cause. so far nothing has popped up. I'm thinking it may be a bad ground circuit.

-
Back