Brake lights

-

tekslk

Reaction score
1967 barracuda, about 3 weeks ago when I pull the car into garage the brake lights stay on, Ive noticed by toughing pedal either direction it will go off. Is there a easy way to adjust the brake light switch or just bend bracket a hair?

That bracket wont bend easily. It is L shaped and has a single bolt in a slotted hole that provides adjust point. The fact that the lights will go off when the pedal is moved downward slightly has me suspecting a bad switch. There isn't supposed to be a middle ground or sweet spot to seek. I guess its possible that your pedals pivot bushing is worn enough to let the pedal move sideways which could cause such a sweet spot effect.
That adjust bolt is a pain in the back to get to. It might be simpler to replace the switch first.

Some of the switches are different, depending on who made 'em. Some of them are threaded (not OEM) that is have a threaded stem and so have more adjustment.

I meant to say the light goes off when I put pressure on the pedal and it comes back by itself, just once in a while it hangs up, is there a place to lube?

Just adjust the switch position right at the pedal. I's one bolt, kind of a pain to get to but worth the effort.

Ended up taking fuses out cleaning up some surface rust, good to go for now.

A problem at a fuse will not cause brake lights to go on/off by themselves.
There is a few different items that will cause what you describe. A failing switch may very well be the problem. The plastic or nylon bushings at brake pedals pivot points are probably severely worn though. Those can be lubricated or replaced. Another is the brake booster failing with power brakes or master cylinder failing with manual brakes.
Most owners will ignore the problem until the brake lights stay on and kill their battery. Then they adjust or replace the switch in hopes that it was the only problem.
Good luck with it.

I got rid of the non adjustable (non threaded) switch and replaced it with an adjustable for some of these exact reasons.
Never a problem since.

-
Back