Brake size

-

shep76

Reaction score
How do I know if I need 1.75" vs 2.5" brake shoes and drums? Where do I meaure? If rock auto only lists the overall height of the drum, is there any other way to make sure I am buying the correct ones?

Thank you,
Jason

The below info relates to the REAR only

IF the backing plate is A body 8 3/4 or A body 7 1/4 - 10x1.75 the distance from the shoe pads to the axle flange should be in the 0.58" range

If you have the drum the machined surface will be closer to 2" wide

If you have the shoe it will be 1 3/4 wide

Backing Plate Identification

The below info is based on the info in the Backing Plate Identification post above

1708627576863.png

PXL_20240222_181345493~2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I did measure but then looked on here and saw some people saying 1.75, some saying 2.25, some saying 2.5.... and I wasn't sure if the drum will be exactly that width or somewhat wider than the drum. All pull the wheels off again and post here to hopefully confirm. The rockauto specs just list overall height though so not sure how that correlates.

1708626810954.png

Note the bolt cir is 5x4.5.

is that what you are looking for?

these are 10 x 1 3/4" A body drum specs

1708627884683.png

What are you working on?

Has it been modified?

Replacement rear end?

What are you working on?

Has it been modified?

Replacement rear end?
1969 Dart, the rear is 8.25, front is stock with drilled hubs for 4.5". The drums all appear to be 10". The depth all look to be about 2.75". The rear overall height is a bit more, closer to 3.75, front overall height 3.25. I accidentally posted the specs for the rears before.

Seems like this matches what I have for the front, unless someone put the wrong drums on it....

1708630131397.png

And these are my shoe measurement. So does it look like I have 2 1/4 up front and 2.5 in the rear? I'm sitll not sure how that correlates to the surface or overalll height specs listed for the drums.. Thanks for all the help.

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

At this point I would be looking at application..

Fronts...

69 Dart if it was originally a V8 car 10", if it was a slant 6 car 9"

Rear...

Look at 74 dart V8 car 8.25 axle 10", the only other option is 7 1/4" rear.

Look at the available shoe sizes. That will tell you a lot

Look at the rear for obvious signs of modification like spring perch relocation.

If it looks stock then the 74 is a good bet.

So does it look like I have 2 1/4 up front and 2.5 in the rear? I'm sitll not sure how that correlates to the surface or overalll height specs listed for the drums
Parts books call for 10x2.25 front 69 dart V8

10x2.5 looks right for 74 10" drum.

As to the numbers listed in the parts books...

So many are useless numbers overall hight and width basically is the size box that would be needed to package them in.

Maximum OD of the drum (each manufacturer might have a different shape or overall OD)

Maximum height. Lay the drum on a flat surface and measure from the surface to the highest point on the drum (each manufacturer might have a different shape or overall height)

Screenshot_20240222-130744.png

1969 Dart, the rear is 8.25, front is stock with drilled hubs for 4.5". The drums all appear to be 10". The depth all look to be about 2.75". The rear overall height is a bit more, closer to 3.75, front overall height 3.25. I accidentally posted the specs for the rears before.
so, the 8.25 came in A bodies 73+ and in variety of other cars (as well as vans and trucks!), so there is a straight up wild amount of brake configurations in 10" alone, not to mention upgrading to 11"

the likelyhood is that it's an A body 8.25

for example:
on the 8.75 i have here it would take 10X2 brakes. the drum (inside face to lip) is measured as 10X2.25 and the shoe is 1.75

on the 8.25 i have the drum is 10X2.75 (a CH over) and the shoes are 2.5

so there are a lot of generalities thrown around in definition and use of jargon in regards to brakes. sometimes it is specified by drum size, sometimes by shoe size.

it's perfectly normal to hear: 8.25 w/ 10X2.5" brakes or just 9" brakes, thus indicating the smaller drum; just the same as that somebody would say: 8.75 with 10X2 drums although that would take a 1.75" shoe.

so, measure the diameter of the drum-- the ID of the braking surface, then measure the shoe. then compare that to the witness marks on the drum surface. that should tell you what you need to order.

on the 8.75 i have here it would take 10X2 brakes. the drum (inside face to lip) is measured as 10X2.25 and the shoe is 1.75
If it was an A body 8 3/4 it would be 10 x 1 3/4" not 10 x 2. the machined surface inside the drum will be closer to 2" give or take

If it was an A body 8 3/4 it would be 10 x 1 3/4" not 10 x 2. the machined surface inside the drum will be closer to 2" give or take
apologies, i should have been more specific. people commonly refer to them as 10X2 and a parts house (ie rock auto) can sometimes list it at 10X2 when the shoe is actually 1.75"

[edit: rock actually lists it as "10in X 1-3/4"]

trust i know the sizes, and the information i gave on measurements is correct. i literally just measured the ones i have sitting here.

[edit 2: sorry if that came off snarky, not my intention]

Thank you. I'm 90% sure I have 2.25 up front, 2.5 in the back and have selected the right drums.... wouldn't be the first time I've had to return something. The front driver side locks up at low speed so I'm hoping it is not because someone put the wrong things on these plates.

Yeah, the overall outer size of the drum, as given by Rock Auto, is completely irrelevant. The key measurements are the inside diameter of the drum (machined surface), and the width of the friction material on the brake shoe (the machined surface on the inside of the drum will be slightly wider). 10 x 1-3/4 would be an A-body rear drum for a V8 car or disc brake car.

You should not have wider shoes in the back than in the front — that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, the overall outer size of the drum, as given by Rock Auto, is completely irrelevant. The key measurements are the inside diameter of the drum (machined surface), and the width of the friction material on the brake shoe (the machined surface on the inside of the drum will be slightly wider). 10 x 1-3/4 would be an A-body rear drum for a V8 car or disc brake car.

You should not have wider shoes in the back than in the front — that doesn't make sense.
My rear is out of a 73 dart I think. Most of the shoes I see on rock auto do appear to be 2.5". I'm hoping that wierd combo won't affect functionality.

-
Back