Brake warning light on

-

philcollins

Reaction score
1971 Duster with 1973 up master cyl, booster and disk brake set-up. I've installed a new proportioning valve and bleed the system. Everything sems fine except for the brake warning light that'on. The car is still on jackstand so i'm not able to do a test drive.

Could it be the the way i bleed the brake that cause the problem? If i take out the switch, will i loose brake fluid?

IMG_1908.JPG

If i take out the switch, will i loose brake fluid?

Yes.

I do believe there is a process to "center" or reset the piece in the block that actuates the light.

I don't know how to do it, but I have read it here on a couple of occasions.

Centering is by creating a leak on one side and stepping on the pedal until the light goes out, as the valve shuttles over. It is best to do this right at the M/C or combination valve. This is very messy business.
Instead
One trick I have, is to clamp the rear flex hose and then crack a front bleeder. Then brake hard until the light goes out,close the bleeder and release the pedal. Don't forget to remove the rear clamp.
Alternatively to clamping the line, you can crank the rear adjusters to push the shoes out hard to the drums.
The object is the same, to prevent a place for the rear fluid to go while centering the valve.
It's usually the rear that needs to be moved.
You cannot achieve anything by removing the switch.
But before you tear your hair out, make sure the parking brake sw is not engaged. It will turn the light on too!

Last edited:
Most of the time a good stomp on the pedal after all the bleeding is done will recenter it and the light will go off.

-
Back