Brass gear oil drive

-

Matts440

Reaction score
Okay is there a trick to these I can't get mine to lock into place on my billet cam. The gears aren't meshing, I have the milodon hardened shaft with brass gear.

Have you tried rotating the crank shaft a few degrees at the same time to aid in the hex portion making the engagement into the oil pump?

Yep tried it slowly and a screw driver on the gear and can't get I to drop down more.

Are you sure you have the correct shaft Milidon makes a longer one for there pump with the external line, are we talking RB, B, or A. Did you check them side by side with the O.E. one?

New bushing or the original?

New, have already test fitted it before this ad slides no problem.

Are you sure you have the correct shaft Milidon makes a longer one for there pump with the external line, are we talking RB, B, or A. Did you check them side by side with the O.E. one?

It's the right one, sorry forgot to mention that it a small block, aftermarket block. It's for high volume pumps it's the one from mancini:
Fits: Small Block 273-360

For Use with High Volume Oil Pump: Yes

Hardened Shaft: Yes

Sleeve Included: No

Drive Gear Included: Yes

Gear Material: Bronze

Quantity: Sold individually.

Notes: Bronze drive gear, designed for use with mechanical roller camshaft.

These oil pump driveshafts are CNC-machined from 4130 chromoly and are centerless-ground to avoid stress risers. These race-proven shafts eclipse breakage-prone stock units that frequently fail when used with high-volume oil systems, heavy racing oil, or high-rpm applications. The ends are induction heat-treated to reduce wear.

milodon-oil-pump-driveshaft-83.gif

Here's pictures of how it is in the block currently. Bottom picture is the end engaged into the start of the oil pump.

20181126_203626.jpg

20181126_203651.jpg

20181126_204043.jpg

The gear on the shaft just pulled up the Mopar one and your right it's reverse, I'll see if I can order a new gear itself

Maybe, hopefully I can get just the gear to fix this without having to buy a all new one.

Just call Mancini and make them send you a new one and a return shipping label so it wont cost you a dime.

I thinking was them could have been hughes, not sure was going to call milodon and see if I can get just the gear from them and swap it out.

Brian6pac thank you for the help, thought I was loosing my mind, didn't remember it being this hard when I built my 440 years ago lol

My thoughts too is that Crane makes a steel gear for the steel cams. Had some bad luck with the brass gears on the street.

Brian6pac thank you for the help, thought I was loosing my mind, didn't remember it being this hard when I built my 440 years ago lol

After looking up other Dodge oil pump drive gears it looks like the gear teeth are oriented the other direction.
(Wrong bronze gear) but you already know that.:D

Last edited:
Just ordered a new one from Summit, it's a comp one. About how long do these last? First time with a bronze gear.

When I was building my 434 (sb) I bought the Milodon bronze drive. Spinning it in my hand you could see the gear wobble on the shaft so I chucked it up in my lathe and put an indicator in it, .018" run out. So I called Milodon and was told to return it as the run out should only .003" or less. It was returned to Summit and I spent the extra money on the MP drive. When it arrived the first thing I did was chuck it up in my lathe, .002" run out.

Something else I did was was install a .006 or .008" motorcycle valve spring shim on the shaft before assembly. This way it's not bronze on bronze between the gear and bushing.

Justinp61 thank you for that info and I like that idea for the shim, but I don't have a lathe to check it on.

I looked at that gear from Hughes, but they say it's not for high volumn pumps which stinks.

-
Back