break in oil vs break in additive

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
yay for another discussion

6 quarts of pure break in oil ooorrrrr...

5 quarts of "regular" oil plus one quart break in additive

price??

comps oil 6 quarts $34

additive $10 plus "regular" oil = $35 give or take

so what does ur brain think? :protest:

my brain say use 20-50w castrol gtx and a bottle of stp like i did on my last fast rate engle solid cam, no problems.

or run schaeffers oil all the way @4.75 a quart.

i dont use the out of the ordinary break in lubes everyone touts

I Have comp cam (thumper) and comp cam lifters, used Comp Cams break in oil, 10w-30 no problems. Got it from Jegs $7.99 quart

Attachments

• com1590.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 486
the reason i say comp oil is so i can keep the warranty for a comp valvetrain..

and a quart of comp oil is 5 smacks on summit

At a minimum use Mobil Delvac 15/40W it still has a decent ZDDP content level along with a bottle of breakin additive. Don't cheap out on this critical step. Why even chance it ? Personally and professionally I use the breakin oil every time. Cost is virtually a wash after you shell out $10-$12 for additive on top of $22-$25 in regular oil vs $36 for breakin oil.

Does anyone know if that Shell Rotella T oil from canadian tire has zinc in it still? It says for diesel and heavy gas engines. Might be something to look into. I used that comp break in oil too on my 440. Says only run for 500 miles on the bottle for some reason, so I strayed against using it for regular use.

I did a lot of oil research after my build and couldn't get a comfortable feeling about the zinc content in shell or anything else conventional for that matter so I went with the Brad Penn oil (they also have break in oil). Where I am though it seems like everyone uses the Lucas break in oil additive without any problems.

-
Back