Hankrebel

Reaction score
71 Swinger 318 with AC
Edelbrock Performer and Eddy 4bl carb

The stock breather cap has 3 ports.
1 for the fuel line
1 that went to the air cleaner
1 that went to the top of the 2bl carb
There is already a PCV on drivers side valve cover that's going to main inlet on carb
Do I really need the port for the air cleaner or carb any longer?
If not I can just install a newer 1-port breather

Also with the above setup, will a 10 inch diameter air cleaner with 2 inch filter have enough hood clearance?

A simple PCV system will have the PCV valve in one valve cover with a hose going to intake manifold vacuum, which could also be at the base of the carb. The other valve cover needs to have a breather with only one nipple, and a hose which pulls filtered air from inside the air cleaner. Alternatively, there could be good filtered breather (K&N style) in the valve cover with no hose to the air cleaner. All those other hoses and stuff were for emissions, which I'm guessing you no longer have to worry about, given the car's age.
0900c1528004def9.jpg

The one port went to the fuel tank and was the vent for it. Vapors from it and the 2bbl carb were stored in the crankcase, and drawn in to the air cleaner housing at the next start.If you want to eliminate that fuel tank vent, you will need an older style vented fuel filler cap.

I'm having trouble finding a breather with two ports so I can keep the fuel vent line going to the breather. Any suggestions?

-
Back