Brewer's

-

nitrojunkee

Reaction score
I searched to see if there were any threads on this specifically, and didn't see anything. If I missed it, I apologize.

Just wondering if anyone has done a full Brewer's 4 speed conversion? I got a quote a couple months ago. Initially I thought it was a bit high. But after thinking about it, and doing a little research, I don't think it was all that bad. It would be nice to have everything I need right in front of me without having to chase crap down. And just concentrate on the conversion itself.

Any thoughts, or first hand experience with their conversions?

I know they offer some kits, but I am sure all the parts are available. I bought a bunch from them for my 4-speed early-a conversion, highly recommend them, great quality parts!

I asked for a list of what I would need to upgrade my 9 inch clutch to a 10.5" (thinking I already have everything) and they gave me a very expensive list of parts needed.

I am not sure if I need them or not I don't understand why the 10.5 fork won't work or the pivot or the Z or the adjustment rod. It just seems like they want to sell me everything.

I asked for a list of what I would need to upgrade my 9 inch clutch to a 10.5" (thinking I already have everything) and they gave me a very expensive list of parts needed.

I am not sure if I need them or not I don't understand why the 10.5 fork won't work or the pivot or the Z or the adjustment rod. It just seems like they want to sell me everything.
To keep everything in proper alignment the fork and pivot parts are needed on an early A. I bought those pieces for mine and the clutch works like a dream.

To keep everything in proper alignment the fork and pivot parts are needed on an early A. I bought those pieces for mine and the clutch works like a dream.

X2, I used the same kit, works slick, those parts are needed and worth the money :glasses7:

Thank you guys for all of the info! Maybe I will try to round up everything I need on my own, and just use Brewer's for the more difficult to find parts. They do seem like a good company to deal with.

Aside from the alignment issue on an early A body, a 10.5 clutch in any car has stronger springs to hold up against more torque handling of the larger disc, so the springs need more leverage to disengage. The fork is physically longer, which changes the throw of the Z bar, adjuster length changes accordingly, etc.

That is why I ordered the following :

Centerforce DF269739 - Dual Friction Clutch Pressure Plate And Disc Set; Size 10.4 in.; 23 Spline By 1 in.; Incl. Pressure Plate/Clutch Disc; Does Not Incl. Throwout Bearing; 1 $392.95
Centerforce N1463 - Throwout Bearing; 1 $43.99

-
Back