Bridge collapsed near me

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A truck carrying an oversized load hit a bridge knocking out a couple of supports, shortly after that that section collasped.
I went by there today and took a couple pictures. There not to good because of the distance they were keeping people away and I was using my phone.

Three people wound up in the river but all survived.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-24-21-00-23.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 316
  • Screenshot_2013-05-24-21-01-16.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 313
I seen it on the news, they also have footage on video of it collapsing. They reported there were many scrapes or scuffs from trucks, possibly from several trucks....old bridge....glad nobody died.

I saw it on tonight's news too. It's amazing the people in the cars that went down didn't get killed. I bet that truck driver's insurance is sure gonna be mad at him, LOL

Saw it on the news as well. Apparently delivering a big tank to Alberta?? From what I heard all the permits were in place, but everything is still under investigation?? By the sounds of it older US bridges are in the same shape as older Canadian ones and in bad need of repairs! Hope everyone is ok

I am sure you all remember this collapse here in MN, the I-35 bridge.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdv2wRaqo4"]Video Captured of 35W Bridge Collapse - YouTube[/ame]

It's been on the LOCAL news here every night since it happened. Not to belittle it but how long are they going to be talking about it. They just keep showing the same story. Slow news week? Glad to see no one was killed!

It's been on the LOCAL news here every night since it happened. Not to belittle it but how long are they going to be talking about it. They just keep showing the same story. Slow news week? Glad to see no one was killed!

That's the way it is here too! The night it happened the news feeds where speculating on how it happened and weather anyone was missing before they even really knew what was going on.
And of coarse they kept comparing it to the one 66340sedan posted (which it wasn't nothing like).

They beat the horse here also. I hate when they talk about a storm (for a week) that will be catastrophic but ends up being nothing.

Saw it on the news as well. Apparently delivering a big tank to Alberta?? From what I heard all the permits were in place, but everything is still under investigation?? By the sounds of it older US bridges are in the same shape as older Canadian ones and in bad need of repairs! Hope everyone is ok

Yep driver/company had all the right paperwork filed, permits, and a route plan approved by the state. Sounds like somebody with the state dropped the ball on this one. Hope the people stuck in the collapse come out ok.

Clearly not as bad as the Minnesota collapse as far as fatalities (thankfully none) but from a traffic disruption point of view maybe worse. This bridge was located almost exactly halfway between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. There are no straight forward alternatives so this will snarl traffic for years to come. Two hours earlier and the bridge would have been packed.

That being said, the news media will beat it like a drum until the next scary story appears.

If you guys think the road infrastructure is outdated, you should check out the Rail Infrastructure. Millions of tons of hazardous materials pass over 100+ old bridges and wooden tresses that have exceeded their lifespans by 20+ years with no plans to replace them.

Incredibly lucky this happened without a bunch more traffic, or even people killed.

Still not clear to me if the truck actually hit it and caused it. or it was that fragile and a "little bump" so to speak.

Yes they are, and just in the county I live in there is over 100 big bridges that has been getting inspected, we have a big 4 lane bridge that crosses Black river that was shut down to one lane a couple years ago for repair (did not pass inspection) It has been an on going job to get our old bridges replaced or repaired, some has been shut down for any trucks over 8 thousand lbs until they are replaced. I have a friend that is PO because he drive a gravel/dirt truck because he now has to drive an extra 20 miles to bring his truck home.
These old bridges have been working for us to long and are seeing more traffic and load. Happy to hear no lives was taken..

This bridge is about 10 miles from my house. My wife and kids drove over it about 20 minutes before it collapsed and my brother in law passed the truck that hit the bridge about 5 miles north of the bridge. Local news was talking right after the collapse about tracking down the oversize load and that the State Patrol was setting up checkpoints. The trucker stopped about 500' past the bridge and never left the scene, but that sounds boring so that's not what they reported. Having seen it all in person, my opinion is that something is fishy here. I don't have any pictures to post but if you see the damage to the oversize load, it's not that bad, compared to the damage the bridge sustained. Also, the bridges listed clearance is for the left lane, but the right lane is lower by approx 12-18". IF the truck had been in the left lane there wouldn't have been an issue. The gentleman travelling directly behind the load that struck the bridge stated that there was another semi next to the oversize load that didn't let him get over. Mysteriously, the state patrol has been unable to contact the pilot car driver to question them.
One last thing, most of the locals struggle with simple driving tasks, now add in another 70,000 vehicles a day to the mix and driving around town has become an exercise in frustration.

This bridge is about 10 miles from my house. My wife and kids drove over it about 20 minutes before it collapsed and my brother in law passed the truck that hit the bridge about 5 miles north of the bridge. Local news was talking right after the collapse about tracking down the oversize load and that the State Patrol was setting up checkpoints. The trucker stopped about 500' past the bridge and never left the scene, but that sounds boring so that's not what they reported. Having seen it all in person, my opinion is that something is fishy here. I don't have any pictures to post but if you see the damage to the oversize load, it's not that bad, compared to the damage the bridge sustained. Also, the bridges listed clearance is for the left lane, but the right lane is lower by approx 12-18". IF the truck had been in the left lane there wouldn't have been an issue. The gentleman travelling directly behind the load that struck the bridge stated that there was another semi next to the oversize load that didn't let him get over. Mysteriously, the state patrol has been unable to contact the pilot car driver to question them.
One last thing, most of the locals struggle with simple driving tasks, now add in another 70,000 vehicles a day to the mix and driving around town has become an exercise in frustration.
Its going to be real fun driving in Mount Vernon and Burlington for awhile . I heard they are going to put a temporary span in that bridge and re-open it. YIKES .

Its going to be real fun driving in Mount Vernon and Burlington for awhile . I heard they are going to put a temporary span in that bridge and re-open it. YIKES .

Well the good news is the water isn't all that deep, LOL

"One last thing, most of the locals struggle with simple driving tasks"
The truest statement ever written in this forum!

-
Back